W211 door handle blues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Evening all. It emerged after a recent bodywork repair that the little brass threaded insert, into which the Torx screw screws, to secure the door handle end cap on my W211, isn't all that threaded any more, and cannot take much torque. Can I buy the insert separately (I bet I can't...), and if not, would anybody recommend a particular threadlocker/locking compound to stop it coming loose again?

EPC suggests not. Your front door handle and lock:

attachment.php

I think 70 is the bolt you're talking about (and 80 is its rubber cap), goes straight into 10, the main lock mechanism. Try that Loctite stuff in the red tube?

Attachments

• door.png
    door.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 111
70 looks like the small torx that holds the trim piece that attaches to the door card covering the latch on the lock?

I think the OP means the larger torx that secures the outer part of the door handle end cap - the one that is hidden under the rubber seal/weather strip on the inside?

The door handles aren't that expensive new - so try and find out how much new from MB first, failing that a breaker? Must be plenty about in silver if you can't seperate it from the body :)

You're spot on, Will; that's the one. It's a T20.

I could simply buy a new one, but I've had a lifelong aversion to spending money I don't need to. If I could buy the little insert, I'd do it like a shot. There are a couple of nearside rear trims on eBay, brand new, but no offside ones; obviously the W211 is more prone to offside than nearside damage...

I don't fancy a breaker much; 'perfect thread' has, in the past, turned out to be missing the words 'less than' on more than one occasion, though mostly for bikes rather than cars.

I feel a drop of locking compound coming on...

And if all else fails, I can always buy a new one.

Get a part number/price from MB, and go from there. You might be surprised.

I've just replaced the entire driver's door handle - it's the electronic keyless go type, comes colour coded for my car etc - was only £135 + vat which I thought was quite cheap?

Will

It's not the cost, it's the satisfaction of a demon bodge....

It's not the cost, it's the satisfaction of a demon bodge....
I know that feeling, just fixed my rear boot wiring harness. Electrical boot open/ close feature working again :D

EDIT

just read the thread properly.

is the threaded bit on the door or on the lock?, i cant recall

Last edited:
It is actually in the end cap - part 200/210 in the exploded diagram above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom