W211 "DVD Error" or No DVD playback after Command Firmware upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fulous

Car
E320 CDI W211
W211 E320 2004
I had software version 15/04 which played DVD on the HU dvd slot. DVD in motion was also playing
BUT
It was not playing MP3 disks.
I could enter the Engineering Menu and MP3 setting was enabled.

NOW
I say a firmware upgrade on MB Official site and downloaded
W211589132200
I was aware that this would take away the ability to enter hidden menu in Engineering Mode, but I was ok with that.

I upgraded the software version as above (to 30/06)
Now
1.) I cant play DVDs even when car is stationary, says "DVD Error" for the same DVDs which played before. I can play Audio CDs ok
2.) MP3 disks still do not play even in the CDC
3.) I can no longer enter engineering mode (expected)

My comand is W211_ECE

I tried removing fuse #28 to reset the comand. after locking, waiting and replacing the fuse, STILL DVDs cannot be played at all

I am considering reverting back to 15/04 but I do not have the disc and am not sure if thats possible.

Someone please help, I am really frustrated. I wanted MP3 playback, Now I No longer have both MP3 and DVD Playback.

Anyone who can send me a disc image for 15/04 would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

It will most likely need coding properly. I imagine there was something badly coded before the update and this has caused problems now. (possibly the VIM coding !!)

There are CD changers that support MP3 and earlier ones that don't - no upgrades for them.

Richard

I should point out that I am able to play the E-Class Manual DVD which came with the car. I am not sure whether that one uses the CD lens or the DVD lens but is a DVD disc type.
Also I was playing some DVDs some minutes before the upgrade, then did the upgrade which took less than 10mins. Soon after the upgrade, like 3 minutes or so, bang, the DVDs are no longer playing.
So this suggests to me that its something to do with the upgrade that has busted up things...

thanks for your suggestions guys...

I am worried my plans to go and park by the beach side with my wife, ... and watch a movie just after sunset... oh! its all gone, I can believe it......

Last edited:
Richard

I am in Tayside, Scotland.
Cheers

Richard would you have, or know someone who has the older W211 589 062200 ( 15/04) version of the update CD? Cheers

Have you tried updating again? where did the update come from?

MB Firmware:

Daimler AG - Service & Parts net

I got the update exactly from the site you referred to above.
I tried running it multiple time with different CD brands with no intended result. Now I am afraid that continuing to run the same update will end up in disk read error and thus bricking my COMAND. I just need a different version to see what will happen.
thanks

I have the same problem. Is there a different route to get into command menu now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom