W211 E Class 220/270/320cdi? Which one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dbaplaya

Car
jaguar x type
Looking to buy a 53/54 plate automatic CDI version. Currently drive a Jaguar so looking for advice on which would be the most reliable engine. Any comments or advice appreciated.

thanks

Others here know more than me but the consensus seems to be that the 220 is the most reliable option, which is partly why that's what I went for. But check out the information here about the other problems with Es of that age and consider whether a post-2006 car might not be a better long-term buy.

The most 'reliable' engine question is always a hard one to answer, but in my opinion it would be the 2.7 CDi; they were used in the 316 Sprinter and I don't recall ever hearing of much going wrong.

In general, pretty much all of the actual engines that Mercedes produce are well known for being 'reliable'.

If you're looking at W211's around the 2003/4 era the biggest thing to check would be to see if the car has a Valeo radiator (do a forum search on that word). Also, make sure everything electrical works.

I've owned five W211's and each one has been a pleasure, they are an excellent car.

As I understand it all 3 capacities are essentially the same design but with 4,5 or 6 cylinders. All 3 engines are I believe deemed to be very liable and are capable of stellar mileage.

The 270 and 320 engines in cars of that era are both inline 6 cylinder and are essentially the same engine. The IL6 seems to be thought of as being more reliable than the later V6 engines, according to some in the trade. Sorry, I don't know much about the 4 pot 220 engine - I drove a loan car with one once and found it less refined than the 6 cylinders. Try and get a drive in a 4 and a 6 cylinder to see which you personally prefer. Myself, I just love the shove in the back when overtaking in the 320's!

I thought the 270 was a 5 cylinder? mine is the 320 il6, fuel consumption is much the same as the 270, the extra power in the 320 is well worth having.

Pre 2005/06; 220 is 4 cyl, 270 5 cyl, 320 IL6.

Post 2006; 220 4 cyl, 280 V6, 320 V6.

The 270 and 320 engines in cars of that era are both inline 6 cylinder and are essentially the same engine. The IL6 seems to be thought of as being more reliable than the later V6 engines, according to some in the trade. Sorry, I don't know much about the 4 pot 220 engine - I drove a loan car with one once and found it less refined than the 6 cylinders. Try and get a drive in a 4 and a 6 cylinder to see which you personally prefer. Myself, I just love the shove in the back when overtaking in the 320's!

Its the V6, from 2005, where the 280 and 320 are basically the same engine (3 litre). The earlier 270 was 5 cylinder and 320 was inline 6. 220 is four cylinder.

I've driven 270, 220 and 280 (present wagon). Much prefer the V6 personally - 5 cylinder 270 is fine, just not as smooth. 220 despite the figures I felt was a bit under powered (possibly under torqued...) and I always had the impression that loaded uphill it might struggle just a little bit. Coming from a jag you may well prefer the larger cc versions. But the best way to find out is test drive a few. Find a couple of heavy mates to sit in the back....:devil:

The 320 inline 6 is a peach in my honest opinion but a 270 or 320 will be a solid buy if it's been maintained.

I test drove a few 270's and 320's before I finally picked a 320 and while the 270's go perfectly well the 320's torque is lovely and I couldn't resist being used to large petrol's in the past.

It's reasonably frugal too for such a big car and mine at 145k is still strong and feels tight on the road. Modern cars in general are reliable for much higher miles now if maintained properly so I'd go on condition and history over mileage readings every time.

Good luck and don't rely on forums for an unbiased view ;) As with most things people only tell you when things don't go right. Nobody posts about how they've driven to the shops without breaking down or have driven 20K without getting a puncture or for that matter their car hasn't fallen apart while driving over a speed bump, oh and we all think our car is best :D

The 220cdi in that engine was also used in commercial vehicles IIRC and is capable of big miles, as is the 270cdi and i6 E320cdi. Depends on whether they need the more powerful car and if they want a newer car for their money, the odds swing in favour of the smaller engines.

also the 6cyl is quieter and more refined, less diesel sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom