W211 E class. Engine oil change drain out old or pump out old.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wadeyblue

Car
E220d estate 2019. Bonneville T120 650cc 1966 Honda Gold Wing GL1500 Omega 3.2 Elite
It's that time again, engine oil and filter change.
Been toying with the idea of purchasing one of the many types of sump pumps on the market and draining the engine oil through the filler.
Anyone got any comments on this?
What has put me off in the past is the thought that when the plastic tube is inserted it does not get to the bottom of the sump so some old oil cannot be removed??
Using the tube would be so much easier than getting under the car, removing the protective cover then removing the sump plug.

If you do a search you will find this has been covered before and there are mixed feelings . A lot of garages use suction now , it's cleaner quicker and generaly accepted as being as good as draining , especialy if the oil has been regularly changed .

Perhaps it's an age/flexibility thing. I was first registered inthe 1940s but still find that to go under using wheel ramps isn't such a big deal. Removing the undertray and the sump plug seems to me to ensure a thorough job. Half an hour and you're done. Same car by the way.

"What has put me off in the past is the thought that when the plastic tube is inserted it does not get to the bottom of the sump so some old oil cannot be removed?"

And it's the sludgy sticky stuff from the very bottom that stays behind, i.e. the stuff you most need to drain out. It's easier, certainly, but I wouldn't do it.

E55BOF (43 years of bodging)

Last edited:
advantages of sucking oil out
clean
no danger of overtightening drain plug
debatable as to whether as much of the sludge at the bottom of the pan has been removed
me i stick with drain plug method
dont overtighten drain plug or the properties of the new crush washer could be impaired
use an in/lb torque wrench and tighten to manufacturers spec - its quite low - if u get kwikfit or similar to do it make sure they use an in/lb torque wrench when tightening drain plug - better to take one along!! in my experience they all overtighten

If you have sludge in your sump pan somthing is very wrong.

Draining is fine

Sucking the oil out is fine.

If you have sludge in your sump pan somthing is very wrong.

Draining is fine

Sucking the oil out is fine.

:thumb:

It's that time again, engine oil and filter change.
Been toying with the idea of purchasing one of the many types of sump pumps on the market and draining the engine oil through the filler.
Anyone got any comments on this?
What has put me off in the past is the thought that when the plastic tube is inserted it does not get to the bottom of the sump so some old oil cannot be removed??
Using the tube would be so much easier than getting under the car, removing the protective cover then removing the sump plug.

Warm the engine to normal temp, allow to cool for 10 mins before any sucking or draining.

We had a small discussion in in the tea room a few years back and the bet ended up the vacuum didn't remove as much as draining, I went with draining was better than vacuum through dipstick.
Well on the W211 320/270/220 we found little difference measuring before oil removal on the dash oil level against the vacuum pump level indicator and draining via sump plug.
What did make a difference was warm/cold oil removal on the vacuum.

Personally I use a vacuum its easier cleaner and faster.

Anything needing touching the dirty bits I leave to the young techs these days.

:bannana:

Last edited:
These are all good answers and thanks all. Will probably decide which way to go using the high tech method. (Heads or tails).

Perhaps it's an age/flexibility thing. I was first registered inthe 1940s but still find that to go under using wheel ramps isn't such a big deal. Removing the undertray and the sump plug seems to me to ensure a thorough job. Half an hour and you're done. Same car by the way.
Yep I was registered in 40's as well. I take the draining to the limit and get all 4 wheels up on blocks, same distance from the ground, then get under the car to do the business. Takes a bit more time.

I suck too.

The tube does go right to the bottom of the sump -- we have an OM651 on a display stand at work and this is clear to see. Get the oil nice and warm, and there's no advantage either way IMO -- except the "free" underbody inspection you get when draining.

The tube does go right to the bottom of the sump -- we have an OM651 on a display stand at work and this is clear to see.

Looking again, it's likely that sucking would remove more oil than draining on this OM651, due to the position of the sump plug.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 94
If you don't take the sump plug out how will you know if there is anything metallic sticking to it that shouldn't be there?

If you don't take the sump plug out how will you know if there is anything metallic sticking to it that shouldn't be there?

Outside of any warranty work..............

Even if you find metal and tell the customer, they are not willing to pay you to strip down the engine for inspection just so you can have a look, sometimes you will strip it down and find nothing wrong, put it back together and off it goes for another 100k.
Also
99% will say thanks for letting me know and carry on driving it till something in the engine starts to let them know it needs repairing, then they are willing to pay for the repairs as its an obvious problem to them, and not a garage trying to pull a fast one on them.

All oil removed from engines is strained through a metallic aviation filter we have, its inspected and sent for analysis if anything is suspect out side a visual check on test paper of the concentric rings comparison tables, and any metal residues found..

Any testing is only done if the engine has a problem or the customer requests it.

:)

Last edited:
I have been looking into getting a sucker and the vibes i am getting are stick with Pela, some of the cheaper ones are not so clever..

I have been looking into getting a sucker and the vibes i am getting are stick with Pela, some of the cheaper ones are not so clever..

As long as it sucks, what more does it have to do?

The Pela models come in many brand names.

I have a Pela. Great bit of kit. Has a measured tank in litres.

Get the engine hot. Suck it out. Wait five minutes then have another suck. That allows for any oil to fully run into the sump.

Sludging? I suspect daring would not clear that any more than sucking. You would want to drop the sump if you are that worried.

The big plus for sucking. You don't even get your hands dirty.

Its how well it sucks though as every man will know...:D

Thought Pela was an actual brand / make..

It is, but the same ones come under different brand names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom