W211 E Class headlight upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jmferros

Car
E320 (W211)
I have a 2008 E320 W211 with Halogen projector bulbs. The dipped light level makes night driving very difficult on unlit roads and in the rain.

I have had the lenses cleaned but they were not the problem. I have read a lot about LED bulbs not being a good way to go, so just wondered if anyone has done an upgrade and what sort?

Please mention specific parts if so.

a headlamp unit upgrade is not viable for many reasons.

Beat bet is replace the bulbs with Osram Night Breakers.

I have a 2008 E320 W211 with Halogen projector bulbs. The dipped light level makes night driving very difficult on unlit roads and in the rain.

I have had the lenses cleaned but they were not the problem. I have read a lot about LED bulbs not being a good way to go, so just wondered if anyone has done an upgrade and what sort?

Please mention specific parts if so.
Are you sure they aren’t bi-xenon bulbs ? Mine are . Do the lights do a little dance when you turn the engine on ?
If they are , I just changed the bulbs for some new standard Osrams for £60 . The results were staggering . I like you hadn’t realised how bad the aged bulbs were .
I changed them a month ago , so my old ones were 12+ years old .
If they aren’t bi-xenon ignore everything I just said and maybe just try some nightbreaker bulbs

In case they are bi-xenon

a headlamp unit upgrade is not viable for many reasons.

Beat bet is replace the bulbs with Osram Night Breakers.
Have you used these bulbs?
Are you sure they aren’t bi-xenon bulbs ? Mine are . Do the lights do a little dance when you turn the engine on ?
If they are , I just changed the bulbs for some new standard Osrams for £60 . The results were staggering . I like you hadn’t realised how bad the aged bulbs were .
If they aren’t bi-xenon ignore everything I just said and maybe just try some nightbreaker bulbs
I had assumed they are halogen because they are so dim! But you may well be right. I'll check for the dance tonight.

Just another thought if the self levelling system fails , there are (on mine ) two sensors, one in the front right wheel well and the other above the rear differential. If the arms rust away the headlights drop and therefore don’t light the road up for any distance .

Just another thought if the self levelling system fails , there are (on mine ) two sensors, one in the front right wheel well and the other above the rear differential. If the arms rust away the headlights drop and therefore don’t light the road up for any distance .
The self levelling system seems to be working, in that they move up and down a fiar bit when switched on. Also, there is no hot spot close to the car, which I imagine there would be if they had failed in such a way?

When you say a little dance, do you mean the self-levelling system? That is all I can see.

When you say a little dance, do you mean the self-levelling system? That is all I can see.
Sounds like they just need a bulb change , the gas fails over time in the bulb . New ones will be a massive difference

Changed my xenon bulbs October last year ready for the Winter, the difference was genuinely surprising.
I went for these….. Osram XENARC Cool Blue Intense D1S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom