W211 E Class Problem

Discussion in 'Engine' started by jeev2008, Jan 2, 2008.

1. jeev2008

jeev2008 New Member

Hi all,

I've joined today in hope that someone can help me resolve an issue with the E320 Petrol Avantgarde we have!

Ok first off its out of its MB Warranty but whilst it was under its MB Warranty several items were replaced.

The main and re-occuring problem we have with it is that it more than often the engine decides to run less smoothly and with less performance a vibration type can be felt through the car. The problem itself will come and go and when it wants , its been a problem ever since we purchased the car on 40k and its now on 90k.

Now MB have been over so many different things on the car and still havent cured the problem if you guys can it would be great!

They have replaced the SBC Brake Controller i believe there was a known fault with this , the rear windscreen was replaced due to a faulty antenna, the radio unit was replaced twice over first one the display packed up and then we drove it away off the forecourt and then the new one packed up aswell, the torque convertor have also been replaced twice over as they believed this was at fault as has the radiator due to the known problem with it leaking into the gearbox etc etc.

So none of these have made any difference to the vehicle - MB wanted to test the car for themselves so it was left with them for a few days they swapped the wheels and alloys over from another W211 (thinking it could be a problem) it definately wasnt this the tyres were all brand new ! A MB employee was taken in the car to prove the problem is still ongoing and he too agreed - now the car is out of warranty and i want this problem fixed as its frustrating - if i can find the fix to the problem i will definately head back to MB and put them in their place .

I personally replaced the MAF to see if this was problematic but this showed no difference... and the spark plugs and the leads have been done too.

Now i've run out of possible things and MB have practically given up ! any ideas from here? im willing to give the registration or any chassis numbers to anyone that wants to certify the work they have completed to date

Rgds,

J

2. Seamster15

Seamster15 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
    Welcome to the best Mercedes forum. One of the experts will be here soon!

Simon

3. OP
    OP
    jeev2008

jeev2008 New Member

any one with any suggestions ? :S

4. television

television Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R230 SL500
    OK what can make the engine shake

A bad injector
    EGR valve stuck open or sticky
    Intermitant O2 sensor

If the car misses,. then a coil pack, and thats well known on this engine.

5. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    Looking into this further there are complaints for a vibration felt in the steering, and I note that you have the SBC mod.

Any hydraulic pipe in the steering can flex under load and give a vibration effect, as can incorrectly seated engine mounts, also any tension in the exhaust system should be relieved.

If the vibration can be felt in the gear shift, then the steering pump should have been replaced

Just a few more things

6. OP
    OP
    jeev2008

jeev2008 New Member

definately doesnt come through the gear shift nor steering but i will keep everyone posted to how i progress.

7. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    I was hoping that someone else would have joined in the post, but this is a very good engine, and I had the same one.

If it is not felt in the steering, that only leaves the components that I mentioned in my first post, there is nothing else to it

8. OP
    OP
    jeev2008

jeev2008 New Member

have to say thanks to you for joining in i will try those items in the first post. Just would love to hit the nail on the head first time round but im guessing that wont be the way will just be a case of trying each item in turn or starting with the cheapest.

9. SL300-24

SL300-24 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 CLS 320CDI,1984 500SL, 2007 E320 CDI Sport Estate, 1991 230TE
    I suspect that it is a gearbox/torque converter/valeo radiator problem. You say that the rad and torque converter have been changed due to coolant ingress, maybe they should have changed the gearbox too as this problem may relate to this. What year is the car?

10. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    E55K SL500 E300Hybrid E250X3 Viano C55 E450Cab A180 Smart 44 Brabus
    What year is it?

11. OP
    OP
    jeev2008

jeev2008 New Member

52 Reg - 2002

12. OP
    OP
    jeev2008

jeev2008 New Member

Mercedes didnt inform me of wether the coolant had ingressed all they did was ask the MB Warranty guys what it could be and then replaced items as instructed. But it could well be the gearbox? The cars a 52 Reg for you info.

13. DieselE

DieselE MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E320CDi
    Just a thought. Many years ago I owned a Sierra XR4i. One night it developed a vibration and performance dropped off. I pulled into a service station and opened the bonnet. It looked like St Elmo's fire under there. One of the plug leads had become disconnected.

I mention this tale only because you referred to loss of performance and vibration. This made me think that perhaps for one reason or another, one cylinder temporarily stops firing. I don't know whether loss of fuel or spark would be picked up by the monitoring system.

Like I said at the beginning, just thought.

14. skemball

skemball Active Member

Car:
    E320 CDi
    A friends BMW that i tested was experieincing what felt like engine misfire - it would do it after going round a roundabout. It turned out to be a knackered auto box that was leaking oil to a level that was just sufficient to give drive but after a sharp turn the level was obviously dropping below the threshold.

I mention this only to illustrate that an autobox fault can give all the impression of an engine misfire.

Have you tried to 'search' for the conditions that the fault occurs? i.e. cold engine, after pulling away, sharp turns, full accelleration, etc.????

IF the dealer has plugged into the ECU to see whether any fault codes are registered i would assume none were recorded implying that all sensors are o.k?

This would leave things like the fuel pressure regulator, low tension and high tension wiring related to the ignition circuits.

Worth a try wiggling and twisting the wiring looms while the engine is running

15. OP
    OP
    jeev2008

jeev2008 New Member

Tried all of these really including hours of searching online - however the fuel pressure regulator sounds like it could be the likely cause.

Anyone know how hard it is to replace this on the W211 where is it located?

Also where and how easy are the fuel filters to replace?

Rgds,

16. skemball

skemball Active Member

Car:
    E320 CDi
    Blimey - your original post was back in January - I take it you still have the problem?

If you do and based on the work that MB did it must be an intermittent problem that doesn't register as a fault code - kind of implies a fault to the power source or earth for the ECU as any sensors monitored going faulty would register a fault surely?