W211 E220 cdi limp home mode.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

parkman1

Car
Mercedes E220: W126 500se; W124 260E
Hi, I would like to see whether there is any new information in why my E220 cdi 2004 has gone into limp home mode. I was out at the weekend, in the car, and I noticed that it had decided to go into limp home mode, and I don't know why.

I know that I will have to visit a main dealer, in Dublin, to get Star to read the error codes, but I am more concerned that the local dealer will just want to fit a new turbocharger, or a new Cat, as these seem to be the easy, money-making solutions, instead of looking at other reasons as to why the problem should have occurred.

I have read through a lot of older posts, most of them around 2006 to 2010, so I am interested to know whether there are more accurate diagnoses as to why limp home mode is engaged. On the first day there was no indication of the problem, except for the lack of power, but on the second day I noticed that the yellow engine problem light was showing.

There is 98,000 miles on the car, and I have to admit that I have missed the last service, so it will be due a 100 K mile service around March. I didn't notice anyone suggesting that missing one service would be a real cause of limp home mode.

The most common suggestions are either the MAF unit, or the EGR unit, but maybe some-one with experience may be able to give an opinion.

parkman

Can recommend Terry Jackson Motors, Shankill, Co Dublin if of any help. Not an MB Dealer but specializes in MB and has the necessary diagnostics.

Hi, I would like to see whether there is any new information in why my E220 cdi 2004 has gone into limp home mode. I was out at the weekend, in the car, and I noticed that it had decided to go into limp home mode, and I don't know why.

I know that I will have to visit a main dealer, in Dublin, to get Star to read the error codes, but I am more concerned that the local dealer will just want to fit a new turbocharger, or a new Cat, as these seem to be the easy, money-making solutions, instead of looking at other reasons as to why the problem should have occurred.

I have read through a lot of older posts, most of them around 2006 to 2010, so I am interested to know whether there are more accurate diagnoses as to why limp home mode is engaged. On the first day there was no indication of the problem, except for the lack of power, but on the second day I noticed that the yellow engine problem light was showing.

There is 98,000 miles on the car, and I have to admit that I have missed the last service, so it will be due a 100 K mile service around March. I didn't notice anyone suggesting that missing one service would be a real cause of limp home mode.

The most common suggestions are either the MAF unit, or the EGR unit, but maybe some-one with experience may be able to give an opinion.

parkman
I have the same problem with mine w211 270 2004 .replaced turbo with actuator ,scanned wiyh star but nothing.we think it is catalytic converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom