W211 E220 CDI - Shifter Pops Out of 1st Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeftBrain

Car
'03 E220 CDI, '85 300TD
2003 E220 CDI Engine OM646.961, trans 716.649 - manual shift six speed, 138k miles

Every so often when I let out the clutch in 1st gear she pops out with a hellacious bump and of course the engine revs away. I put it back in and she takes off as normal.

Happens more often if I'm in a hurry. Sometimes the shifter feels kinda' like putty when going into 1st, and then she usually pops out. Doesn't happen very often though, maybe once a week if I'm careful. If it feels soft (like putty) and I take it out and put it back in it clicks in nicely and works fine.

Hasn't gotten any better or worse in 40k miles.

Anybody ever had a similar experience that you were able to fix, and can share some advise? Where should I look first, I haven't even put it on a lift yet.

Last edited:
Not many manual modern Mercedes in this country my friend!
However that does sound like a problem in the gearbox itself.

Hello LeftBrain.

Not sure on this one, truth is there are so few manual boxes on these that issues do not come up often.
Guess you really need to look at that linkage and see what gives - good luck.

It could be as simple as the engine mounts being worn or the selector linkage requiring adjustment, after that suspect a bent selector.

Thanks fellas. Hadn't thought about the engine mounts, so that's an especially good lead.

Surprised to hear so few manual gearboxes. Over here there are *none* on the E class, so mine is special here as well.

Will post back after I have a look - might be a while.

Thanks! (Cheers!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom