W211 E220 CDI wagon rescue!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mow221

Car
W221,W212,w211,W209,s211
Had been looking through the ads for the last while looking for a cheap project to play with as I was held up on parts for the s class.
I was looking at a few 210's, 203's, 211's etc... but either already gone, or too far gone....

This one had been in my saved ads for some time but i had tried messaging, ringing, texting etc but ne response...
Eventually I had a black W211 E200 avantgarde sport lined up and again was waiting for the owner to be available for viewing, work etc..
While waiting I tried the other number again just incase..... and it answered..
So I sorted a deal out over the phone depending on inspection results...
Hopped on the train that weekend and 4 hours later met the guy at the station... Had a look round, little spin and did the deal...

Needing rescuing-2003 avantgarde w211 e220 cdi wagon.
150k lots of nice spec, bum heaters, leccy seats, leccy parcel shelf, dvd etc etc... not bad for quite a small sum.. Body has a few marks, some will smart repair, some will have to wait! wheels and tyres were not to my taste, so i fitted a set of 19" to fill up the archs a tad.
fitted a tidier grille, new hood emblem, polished headlights, toughed up chips etc and started to polish...lots of polishing later one side is near done...
Anyway here where its at at present, it going to be lower than stock as i like the lower look thing...
Should be worth keeping after it get a bit of love...IMG_20200307_170008961.jpg IMG_20200307_170008961.jpg IMG_20200307_170029185_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_211025324.jpg
    IMG_20200315_211025324.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200315_211000291.jpg
    IMG_20200315_211000291.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200323_154309598_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200323_154309598_HDR.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 15
I know it's probably not the done thing, but I'm looking to do a subtle rear spoiler extension, has anyone done this? Anyone got any ideas what rear has a similar profile?Screenshot_20200324-091023.png Screenshot_20200324-090929.png

I think the spoiler could be worth a shot. I'm always open to modifications in the aim of them complementing the cars, like the right set of wheels, the odd tweak.

Look forward to seeing how this turns out. :)

Yes I'm not looking for a mind back to factory wagon, just something practical and different, plus has the gadgets and economy....

Did a little more tweeking the height and a bit more cleaning...

Can I ask how you adjusted the rear air suspension height - diagnostics, tweaking the level sensor etc.? I am wanting to adjust the rear on my S211 E220 also, but I want to go 40mm or so higher to make a better hitch height when towing.

Thanks,

Martin.

I adjusted with base settings first ant there is room to play with to a point, but I wanted to go lower, so I took a look at the height sensor on the rear to see if it could be modified to suit! As I had fitted adjustable links to my w221, and it would happen that it bolts to the sway bar on the rear with a nice tidy "u" bolt clamp, it does sit into a groove made into the bar but boldly I experimented to see if it could be fooled... I loosened the clamp on the bar moved toward the nsr of the car slightly. Re tightened and marked position with a paint pen, rechecked the readings to see if it was changing the settings, then adjusted a few times until o oot where I wanted it and recalibrated the height, but I could say that possibly moving a little at a time may work just as well, just be sure the clamp is not contacting anything

Thank you. Sorry for the possibly stupid question, but could you expand on the first sentence - "I adjusted with base settings first …." ? Is that something that can be done via diagnostics, or through some hidden dash menu perhaps?

Martin.

Sorry was rushing the reply just there...
I use launch diagnostics, and it works well on most areas, not as detailed and accessible as star but works well for what I need it for..
With the s class w221 the adjustments to lower is roughly 5mm shorter rear rod lowers by 25mm (estimated)
Ón fronts ón w221 extending by 5mm front link rods lowers the front by 25mm.

So I tried the rear adjustment as per the s class, but it seems by my trial and error testing that to lower the rear the link rod should be lengthened or. Moving it away from the sensor.

Reactions: MJJ
So I would assume that shortening the link or moving it closer to the sensor should raise the height of the vehicle on it's basic setting, but you would have to try it and experiment

Also please note that this would not be a highly recommended mod as it may alter alignment, or have affects on the suspension function and handling of the vehicle, it may also cause faults to be stored and setting to be upset.
But I'm using the setup with caution and can only leave my results but not recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom