W211 E220 CDI wagon rescue!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Op, that's a lush motor, love the ride height!!!

I'm thinking of doing a w211 project myself, definitely diesel! Can I ask why you went preface lift, there's a lot of bargain 08/09 models out there now.

Also, I'm thinking 320 engine as I want to tow, is the V6 any good?

Cheers in advance

Had a 2008 w211 E320 cdi Avantgarde saloon, loved the V6 engine, then had a couple of ML, the first like the E class with no DPF , I thought they were both nicer engines than the later one fitted to the 350 ML, seemed smoother and quieter. The E class was remarkably quick for a diesel, can imagine very good for towing with loads of torque. I would have another one without a second thought but make sure you get one without a DPF

Hi Op, that's a lush motor, love the ride height!!!

I'm thinking of doing a w211 project myself, definitely diesel! Can I ask why you went preface lift, there's a lot of bargain 08/09 models out there now.

Also, I'm thinking 320 engine as I want to tow, is the V6 any good?

Cheers in advance
Think for me I like the challenge of making something that's a bit beaten and worn look great again!
I prefer the pre-facelift model as the avantgarde bumper is a bit more fitting with the rest of the car, although I can tend to prefer the AMG facelift w211 styling, nicer bumper fitment to grille etc... But in reality this came up very cheap! Like about the same price as the wheels sort of cheap..... And had potential with the colour and spec, and I had the wheels there ready for it, they don't seem to suffer too much with rust, and other than the brakes issue they are fairly bulletproof, and obviously the comfort and economy help too...

Had a 2008 w211 E320 cdi Avantgarde saloon, loved the V6 engine, then had a couple of ML, the first like the E class with no DPF , I thought they were both nicer engines than the later one fitted to the 350 ML, seemed smoother and quieter. The E class was remarkably quick for a diesel, can imagine very good for towing with loads of torque. I would have another one without a second thought but make sure you get one without a DPF
Cheers smart320, any links where I can read more on the DPF?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Why not Google DPF , then you can understand what it is and does. Then try googling DPF problems with regeneration. You can also search threads on this forum. The more you read the more you realise that you are better without one fitted especially as they are not good for lots of short trips.. Am sure other members will comment

s211 4.png
As i was saying a bit back, playing with the idea of a subtle lip to extend the rear spoiler, found a piece of material in the garage to test for how it would suit?? I kind of like it, in this form not very functional, but just gives a little something to the rear, you might miss it, but thats the idea...

Attachments

• s211 2.png
    s211 2.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 5
Had been looking through the ads for the last while looking for a cheap project to play with as I was held up on parts for the s class.
I was looking at a few 210's, 203's, 211's etc... but either already gone, or too far gone....

This one had been in my saved ads for some time but i had tried messaging, ringing, texting etc but ne response...
Eventually I had a black W211 E200 avantgarde sport lined up and again was waiting for the owner to be available for viewing, work etc..
While waiting I tried the other number again just incase..... and it answered..
So I sorted a deal out over the phone depending on inspection results...
Hopped on the train that weekend and 4 hours later met the guy at the station... Had a look round, little spin and did the deal...

Needing rescuing-2003 avantgarde w211 e220 cdi wagon.
150k lots of nice spec, bum heaters, leccy seats, leccy parcel shelf, dvd etc etc... not bad for quite a small sum.. Body has a few marks, some will smart repair, some will have to wait! wheels and tyres were not to my taste, so i fitted a set of 19" to fill up the archs a tad.
fitted a tidier grille, new hood emblem, polished headlights, toughed up chips etc and started to polish...lots of polishing later one side is near done...
Anyway here where its at at present, it going to be lower than stock as i like the lower look thing...
Should be worth keeping after it get a bit of love...View attachment 93577 View attachment 93577 View attachment 93578
I love the headlight finish, just wishing that I could achieve the same finish on my tired units....

Just going back to the rear suspension height setting, the way I had previously messed with the height adjustment was a messy situation, moving the clamp on the antiroll bar just didn't work, the car was up and down, didn't know if it was up or down!!! So I moved it back to the place it was meant to be (in the notch). So front was nice and low, rear was a bit higher, not really what I wanted! I took a look again and contemplated making a link adjuster or manufacturing an new link, and had a great little plan too (I'll attach later) so while I was lying under there in ponder mode I decided to see if a little tweek to the bracket that holds the height sensor could make and change??
So being curious (only! Not a butcher I swear!) I gave it a killer tweek in one direction, toward the back of the car, dropped on the ground and started, suspension dropped alot! But wasn't sure if it just say down or it was actually at a setting???!!! So I gave it a little back to it's original position (very little movement by he way!!) And tried again, and this time it came up more or less to exactly where I wanted it!!
I've been testing now for a week and it seems to be just right for my liking, and works just nice when a load is applied! So this has been a success and a very cheap mod!!

Quite happy with how this turned out, shame i didnt get some better images of it when i originally picked it up, it really was a sorry case! although from a distance it looks okay, the paint is pretty poor on the osr quarter and a nice ding on the nsr quarter, but things like sound system is great to have and even ice cold AC after all these years!
I have the brakes all cleaned up just makes for nicer view through the bigger wheels.... full service is next, and fan belt, and look at doing a trans oil change...

Love, love, love this wagon... Big fan of the OEM styling with a slight twist.. How much if you don't mind me asking did the car cost you. I am looking for a cheap family wagon/ 6 seater, but can't bare wasting money on a 😷 Galaxy, Zafira etc 💩mobile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom