W211 E220 Diesel consumption? What's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wonderland

Car
Mercedes Benz W211
Hello,

Fuel consumption has been driving me quite mad lately. I think that my car is using too much fuel, some say it's an ok amount for this car, some say that it isn't, but it's not worth getting into, etc.

So firstly I wanted to find out what is considered normal combined mpg or l/100km for W211 E220 Wagon 5speed automatic?

I'm getting around 30 mpg or 9 l/100km. But my onboard computer is showing 40 mpg or 7l/100km at the most (usually it's less).

s211 E320 CDI absolute best 62.9 computer showed 60 over 48miles

Usual 48-50mpg, just did 662miles across europe ave speed 64mph 40.8mpg

Mpg

A chap at work has a c220 cdi w203 average 42mpg best 54mpg

Last edited:
Yes, but that is 3.2 Diesel, correct? I have 2.2 Diesel.

sorry yes its I6 3.2 have edited the above post for you
Thank you.

Then I should probably be averaging around 40 mpg, with ease, since it's only a 2.2.

Also there seems to be no engine or exhaust problems in my case. If you press throttle pedal all the way a cloud of black smoke comes from exhaust, but I understand that is normal for a diesel.

Last edited:
my daily commute consists of 5 miles of town, 45 miles of M25 and 5 miles of dual carriageway.

My W203 had 48 miles in 47 minutes at 60.2 mpg on the display the other week.

I normally see 50's even at 70+ when i can.. high 40's should be achievable.. I dont do much town work, my 5 miles above is at 6.00am..

s211 E320 CDI absolute best 62.9 computer showed 60 over 48miles

Usual 48-50mpg, just did 662miles across europe ave speed 64mph 40.8mpg

How?!?! What's your secret?

With my S211 320CDi V6, I'm doing well if I see 30 mpg on a 32 mile trip, predominantly on dual carriageway.

Whether coincidence, or not, I do seem to get more mpg from V-Power diesel than normal fuel.

Had the car exactly a year, never gone below 50mpg, and is currently on the trip at (last reset) 2600 miles at 57mpg. This is for mixed driving at an average speed of 27mph and using the stop start.
I've never checked brim to brim.

I get about 31-35MPG actual from my 270CDi from a full tank.

The computer says my average is 39-40MPG which is roughly 20% less than actual reality.

With my S211 320CDi V6, I'm doing well if I see 30 mpg on a 32 mile trip, predominantly on dual carriageway.

Whether coincidence, or not, I do seem to get more mpg from V-Power diesel than normal fuel.

Good servicing Oil and fuel filter every 3,000 miles and a Remap, Just to add she always gets Bp Ultimate or Shell V diesel

View attachment 53769

View attachment 53770

Last edited:

Looks as though we are heading for a ding dong again with those that dismiss Shell Nitro and remaps.....!

merc85 has a remap and also i have one also although with different companies that applied it.

Not what was asked for but my S203 C320CDI V6 does about 45.1 Max so far at a gentile 60mph but that was over just 50miles, i simply cannot drive the motor like a geriatric.

At 80mph+continuous and using full performance now and again it does 40mpg.

I use Shell Nitro Diesel always together with the required amount of 2T oil which gives very minimal if no black smoke on WOT and according to my MOT readout yesterday 1.2 for the smoke test of which 3.0 is the pass, so really low.

You will only get out what you put in.....LOL

I use Shell Nitro Diesel always together with the required amount of 2T oil which gives very minimal if no black smoke on WOT and according to my MOT readout yesterday 1.2 for the smoke test of which 3.0 is the pass, so really low.

I am using Esso Synergy Supreme+ Diesel, and MOT yesterday smoke test was 0.08 so I beat you. :bannana:.
Not bad for an old car CLK270CDi that legally does not have a DPF.

Good servicing Oil and fuel filter every 3,000 miles and a Remap, Just to add she always gets Bp Ultimate or Shell V diesel

View attachment 53769

View attachment 53770

My car was only serviced a couple of weeks ago, new filters and, I believe, Mobil 1 oil. I find your figures amazing! What remap did you have? How much difference did you notice pre vs post remap?

I am using Esso Synergy Supreme+ Diesel, and MOT yesterday smoke test was 0.08 so I beat you. :bannana:.
Not bad for an old car CLK270CDi that legally does not have a DPF.

I gave the average of 3 that was printed. The 2nd go was .71 :cool:...mine has no DPF legally either which i think adds to the engine performance.

Last edited:
If you press throttle pedal all the way a cloud of black smoke comes from exhaust, but I understand that is normal for a diesel.

I think you need to give it an italian tune up. I think in your endevour to get better fuel economy you're being so gentle with it, it's all getting sooted up.

Put your boot through the floor a few times on motorway slip roads, etc and you might clear it out a bit.

I think you need to give it an italian tune up. I think in your endevour to get better fuel economy you're being so gentle with it, it's all getting sooted up.

Put your boot through the floor a few times on motorway slip roads, etc and you might clear it out a bit.

Funnily enough, my indy told me that the diesels like / need to be driven hard to stop them getting coked up. That's my excuse for concrete shoes, anyway! ;)

I have a C220 CDI Coupe 2014 and short journeys too does not return great mpg but if I'm in the car long enough 40mpg Is achievable

I think it just your doing short journeys and not allowing the engine to warm up

i average 33/35 over 13 miles to work @ 70 mph , I did get 47 mpg to leeds airport over 87 miles @ 60 mph .

So, the first thing I need to do, is wear my concrete shoes a little bit? I understand that I should be getting around 40 mpg with this engine (2.2 Diesel) quite easily?

I actually recently read an article where similar thing was mentioned, that if you live in a city, you definitely need to take your diesel out on a highway once in a while and drive a little harder, so that something doesn't get clogged up, or it may lead to quite an expensive service trip. I just hope it's not too late for me :). I only had this car for a few months.

Is there anything else that maybe comes to mind?

Unfortunately where I live, we don't have these fancy diesel fuels, you just get 1 type of diesel. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom