W211 E220 Diesel consumption? What's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
redline it once a week to blow off cobwebs , its called turbo conditioning .

My car was only serviced a couple of weeks ago, new filters and, I believe, Mobil 1 oil. I find your figures amazing! What remap did you have? How much difference did you notice pre vs post remap?

I didnt have my car very long roughly 2 wks before i had it remaped so dont know the before mpg figure it seemed around 48mpg.

She used to have a flat spot when booting it initially, and then run out of puff at 4k, now she pulls cleanly all the way round to 4,600rpm

Seems like has been given more power in 3rd and abit more in the last 2 gears 4th n 5th seems to go really well.

It was remaped by Chip Tuning in Ipswich Suffolk, would like to get her on a rolling road tbh to see what power she puts out. id estimate around 250bhp - 260bhp going on my previous cars one which was 270 bhp and 300bhp.

1/4 mile at North weald she did a 15.2 @ 90mph.

I dont really drive it hard tbh all the trips i do are long runs at around 65mph -70mph in cruise, The car has covered 90k with fsh.

Last edited:
I just popped out for a drive this evening a did 17 miles at an average speed of 31mph and got 33.1mpg reported by the car. Not often my 320CDi has shown me that many!

I think you need to give it an italian tune up. I think in your endevour to get better fuel economy you're being so gentle with it, it's all getting sooted up.

Put your boot through the floor a few times on motorway slip roads, etc and you might clear it out a bit.

Why is is called "Italian Tune up"? lol

Last edited:
Over the last two years my 2012 C350 CDI Estate has averaged just over 40 mpg. My trip computer used to be fairly accurate, but after a "re-calibration" by MB one time I now need to take 10% off the computers figure to get the actual MPG - confirmed by calculating the actual fuel in / mile out each fill up. Oddly, while my MPG reads over what I actually get, the projected range reported directly after a fill up is usually bang on.

The lowest MPG over the entire tank I ever got was 36mpg, the best 48mpg. On individual trips - NOT motorway, just driving super sedately - I've had 50mpg+

Note: I live in a very hilly area which really hammers MPG for the first 5 miles of pretty much all my trips, only once on flatter terrain does my MPG start to go up.

Note 2: I generally run V-Power Diesel, car seems to prefer it. However, the past three fill ups I've had to use a local ASDA, so I add a 75-100ml shot of Millers to the mix. This does seem to help poorer fuels perform better. My old Focus was a noisy, somewhat smoky lump on ASDA Diesel, yet ran very well - quieter and cleaner - on V-Power. As my Focus did not have a DPF I started running on ASDA Fuel + a 200ml shot of mineral, low-ash two stroke oil which mad a staggering difference. I never used V-Power again in the Focus. I use Millers as a DPF friendly alternative to two stroke oil in the Merc. The results are less pronounced - Merc is newer and naturally more refined - but I feel it makes a difference, plus there are longevity benefits adding the Millers to modern, low sulpher diesel fuel.

Scoob.

Over the last two years my 2012 C350 CDI Estate has averaged just over 40 mpg. My trip computer used to be fairly accurate, but after a "re-calibration" by MB one time I now need to take 10% off the computers figure to get the actual MPG - confirmed by calculating the actual fuel in / mile out each fill up. Oddly, while my MPG reads over what I actually get, the projected range reported directly after a fill up is usually bang on.

The lowest MPG over the entire tank I ever got was 36mpg, the best 48mpg. On individual trips - NOT motorway, just driving super sedately - I've had 50mpg+

Note: I live in a very hilly area which really hammers MPG for the first 5 miles of pretty much all my trips, only once on flatter terrain does my MPG start to go up.

Note 2: I generally run V-Power Diesel, car seems to prefer it. However, the past three fill ups I've had to use a local ASDA, so I add a 75-100ml shot of Millers to the mix. This does seem to help poorer fuels perform better. My old Focus was a noisy, somewhat smoky lump on ASDA Diesel, yet ran very well - quieter and cleaner - on V-Power. As my Focus did not have a DPF I started running on ASDA Fuel + a 200ml shot of mineral, low-ash two stroke oil which mad a staggering difference. I never used V-Power again in the Focus. I use Millers as a DPF friendly alternative to two stroke oil in the Merc. The results are less pronounced - Merc is newer and naturally more refined - but I feel it makes a difference, plus there are longevity benefits adding the Millers to modern, low sulpher diesel fuel.

Scoob.

Could you please explain what is Millers? I'm outside of UK, and I don't think I have seen something like this. It is fuel additive, correct? I also have just the basic diesel fuel available unfortunately.

---

Judging by replies it seems that average is about 40+ mpg. But most of you have bigger diesel engines. So I should probably average more than 40 mpg, but I don't.

Could you please explain what is Millers? I'm outside of UK, and I don't think I have seen something like this. It is fuel additive, correct? I also have just the basic diesel fuel available unfortunately.

---

Judging by replies it seems that average is about 40+ mpg. But most of you have bigger diesel engines. So I should probably average more than 40 mpg, but I don't.

Check out this link.

Millers ECOMax basically provides additional lubricants to the fuel - something modern low sulphur lost when the sulphur was removed. This keeps things working a little better. The car may be a little quieter as the injectors - having more lubrication - run more quietly, as well as staying cleaner so the fuel "spray" is more even for better combustion. Things like seals etc. are protected by the product, potentially meaning a longer life.

Additionally, it also improves the Cetane rating of the fuel, basically providing a little more go for the money. When used in good fuels, such as V-Power, it makes very little difference - the most obvious difference with "better" fuels are the additives - but it does improve lower quality supermarket fuels. I've always noticed a marked difference between using the likes of V-Power (Petrol and Diesel) compared to the supermarket equivalents, so bringing up such fuels (in this case just the Diesel) to a better spec is a good thing in my view.

I wasn't a huge fan of additives in my tuned petrol cars - they're explicitly mapped for V-Power and don't like anything less. However, my diesels - starting with my old 2004 Ford Focus - loved having a nip (200ml) of mineral two-stroke oil added - it ran so much better. Moving forward I could have continued to add two stroke in the Merc, but the addition of a DPF to newer cars mean I wanted to be 100% sure of a low-ash product so not to shorten the life of the DPF. For most "low ash" mineral oils, you cannot actually find out the exact amount - considering even "low-ash" oils might have 10x or more what's in normal diesel fuel, I chose to go the Millers route.

At the end of the day, a bottle of Millers lasts about 6 fill ups, yet I get get it for £8 a bottle online. Compare this to potentially 30p+ / litre more to fill up with V-Power diesel, then I'm saving per tank.

Basically:

V-Power = Supermarket Diesel + Millers, with the latter being the cheaper option.

Scoob.

For use as both a petrol and diesel fuel additive the best ashless version of 2 stroke oil is the marine spec TCW-3. For environmental reasons TCW-3 oil uses organic additives rather than the traditional ones that burn to leave an ash residue. I've used it on a petrol engine for 10 years and it appears to leave no deposits other than a light tint on the spark plugs. In fact quite the opposite as over time it cleans up the combustion chamber.

I think my W211 E220 Diesel consumption is averagely okay. I used a full tank for a week

I think my W211 E220 Diesel consumption is averagely okay. I used a full tank for a week
That is a completely pointless post unless you state how many miles you cover in a week and what sort of driving, city. highway etc.

If it is 500 miles it may be OK, if you cover 150 miles it is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom