W211 e220cdi rpm Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smallholdings1

Car
w211 E220CDi
Hi,
New to the forum, so apologies for any new member mistakes :doh:

I have a w211 e220 estate 54 plate auto that I've had about 6 months. My first Merc. It has 120k on the clock.

I seem to have a gearbox or engine rev issue when the car starts from cold. When I first drive off from a cold start the car doesn't seem to have much power and it struggles to pull smoothly and is reluctant to change up a gear for the first few seconds. After 30 seconds or so of driving my Rev counter then begins to 'wave' up and down and I can't hold the rpm.

This stays like this for around the first 5 minutes of driving and is worst when at around 30mph or 1200rpm-1500rpm.

Also it occasionally seems to moves up a gear when there is apparently no need eg I'll be at 35mph and applying a gentle continuous throttle and it will seemingly go up a gear causing the car to make a low rumble/shuddering and the Rev to drop to under 1000, I have to 'kick down' to bring it back down a gear.

After 10 minutes or so of driving or when re-started from warm it doesn't have these problems. As I tend to only do shortish journeys though, this is really aggravating.

I did take it to local garage and they put a star diagnostic on it but couldn't find a corresponding error code. Any help/ideas would be much appreciated!!

I had similar revs going up and down on my ML270 after I bought it, turned out to be low oil in auto box, I would get it checked and topped up if needed or could be atf is tired and old?

Thanks! I'll give both of those try and let you know how I get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom