W211 e220d 32k miles advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jlb22

Car
E Class
Hi All I have just purchased a 2007 e220d with 32k miles (I made sure to get the facelifted w211!)

It has a service history but it appears it last had an oil change and automatic gearbox oil change at 29,000 miles. My question is that this was 8 years ago in 2012! Would the oil have degraded and should I get an oil change and/or gearbox oil change? It has only done 3000 miles in 8 years

Its just gone through the Mot without even an advisory.

Any help much appreciated. I'm just aware if the very worst happened after my 6 months after purchase runs out, if I had a gearbox failure the costs would be horrendous.

Any help or advice much appreciated

Personally with that mileage I would leave it until the next service is indicated (which it miht be if its time related) and do it then. Very good find with that mileage

Personally with that mileage I would leave it until the next service is indicated (which it miht be if its time related) and do it then. Very good find with that mileage
Great thanks for the advice. I'm very pleased with it, it's mint. I supposed I'm just a bit concerned it being a diesel and only doing 3k in 8 years. I love the W211 I had a w212 and actually prefer this one

If you bought from a garage would they not have serviced it before you collected?

I'd make sure it was serviced, good oil in a diesel is important and oil degrades with time.

If you bought from a garage would they not have serviced it before you collected?

I'd make sure it was serviced, good oil in a diesel is important and oil degrades with time.
Hi no it wasnt serviced they just MOTd it which it passed without an advisory. Would you get oil changed in both engine and gearbox? I can see it had an oil and gearbox oil change 3000 miles ago but that was also 8 years ago

Great thanks for the advice. I'm very pleased with it, it's mint. I supposed I'm just a bit concerned it being a diesel and only doing 3k in 8 years. I love the W211 I had a w212 and actually prefer this one
Car just needs a good Italian tune up I would think , a few hours on the motorway then re check all the levels .
I would be inclined if it were me and the car was a long term keeper to get an oil and filter change and an ATF and filter change as well in the next few weeks (and air filters) , just so I knew it was all done .
If you didn’t want to spend out on the ATF change , then maybe do it next year

OK t
Car just needs a good Italian tune up I would think , a few hours on the motorway then re check all the levels .
I would be inclined if it were me and the car was a long term keeper to get an oil and filter change and an ATF and filter change as well in the next few weeks (and air filters) , just so I knew it was all done .
If you didn’t want to spend out on the ATF change , then maybe do it next year
OK thanks I like that an 'Italian Tune Up'!

When the transmission fluid was changed do you know how it was done?

A lot of places only drain the sump and not the torque convertor so in effect only half of the fluid is changed.

Id do a ATF change and Filter, It's done then for piece of mind, Mind you i am a worrier lol

Great find! post some pic's, :)

When the transmission fluid was changed do you know how it was done?

A lot of places only drain the sump and not the torque convertor so in effect only half of the fluid is changed.
Hi unfortunately it doesn't say just that the transmission fluid was changed. It looks like it was a main dealer so hope they would do it properly?

Thanks v
Id do a ATF change and Filter, It's done then for piece of mind, Mind you i am a worrier lol

Great find! post some pic's, :)
Thanks very much just tried to find some pics but it was only on auto trader for 2 days. Its now on the drive with cover on. Its the avantgarde. I used to have a w212 sport and I think this looks better. There seems to be a real split some say get the oil changed and some just drive it. Would I get a warning or the gearbox just stops? I haven't had an automatic before. I had manuals but got fed up with them in traffic

No need to change either oil deffo not the gbox, if you feel like it do the engine oil + filter.

Hi unfortunately it doesn't say just that the transmission fluid was changed. It looks like it was a main dealer so hope they would do it properly?

Its dangerous to expect a main dealer service department to do things correctly.

Draining the whole transmission is difficult as MB removed the Torque Convertor (TC) drain plug on many transmissions.

The only way to fully drain the system is to remove the transmission oil cooler pipes and let this drain down the TC as well as removing the sump cover.

Otherwise you drain around half the oil and leave half behind mixed with the new.

No need to change either oil deffo not the gbox, if you feel like it do the engine oil + filter.
Many thanks why would you defo not do the gearbox? I think my concern was that its last change was 8 years ago (albeit it has only done 3000 miles since). I think it must have been owned by an old boy who drove it a few times a month

Many thanks why would you defo not do the gearbox? I think my concern was that its last change was 8 years ago (albeit it has only done 3000 miles since). I think it must have been owned by an old boy who drove it a few times a month

I tend to agree about not doing the transmission as oil not subject to contamination from combustion should be fine. I would visually inspect the transmission oil and leave it at that if it's clean enough to believe it has only done 3000 miles .

The engine oil is different because it is subject to combustion contamination and you have no way of knowing how those miles were driven. If they were all short journeys it could be overdue for an oil change. It so cheap to do on a diy basis I wouldn't hesitate to change it.

I tend to agree about not doing the transmission as oil not subject to contamination from combustion should be fine. I would visually inspect the transmission oil and leave it at that if it's clean enough to believe it has only done 3000 miles .

The engine oil is different because it is subject to combustion contamination and you have no way of knowing how those miles were driven. If they were all short journeys it could be overdue for an oil change. It so cheap to do on a diy basis I wouldn't hesitate to change it.
Thanks that is extremely useful. So not really an issue transmission fluid sitting there not doing much for 8 years. My concern is that the car was 5 grand, being a Merc if gearbox goes caput that's game over ££££!

The salient point is that the OP doesn't know if the gearbox was fully drained or partially..

On that basis I would be playing safe but its the OP's choice.

I really don't understand why you would not have insisited on it being serviced as a condition of buying it.

Up to you if you service (oil change) it or not.
Most folks around here have their vehices serviced either according to mileage or age and after so many years it is way past being due an oil change.
The ATF is another matter for consideration completely.

Remember the selling garage put the fresh clean MOT on it, likely by one of their own or a trusted local MOT tester. ;)

I really don't understand why you would not have insisited on it being serviced as a condition of buying it.

Up to you if you service (oil change) it o
Most folks around here have their vehices serviced either according to mileage or age and after so many years it is way past being due an oil change.
The ATF is another matter for consideration completely.

Remember the selling garage put the fresh clean MOT on it, likely by one of their own or a trusted local MOT tester. ;)
I just decided to go for it. I have been looking for a super low mileage facelifted w211 avantgarde for absolutely ages. It is absolutely immaculate. I am going to get the oil and filter plus air filter sorted and take advice on the ATF

I just decided to go for it. I have been looking for a super low mileage facelifted w211 avantgarde for absolutely ages. It is absolutely immaculate. I am going to get the oil and filter plus air filter sorted and take advice on the ATF

Oil filter £10 from Merc. dealers on ebay, you can get 20L of 229.51 for £72 which will do 2 and a bit oil changes. £27 for the Air Filter.
Very simple to change the Air filter and quite simple on the Oil too.
I'd also change the fuel filter too if it was me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom