W211 E240 4/2004 Sensotronic brake unit 'noisy'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albw211

Hello all....first post here....apologies if this has been discussed in detail before.....

Have the above model and covered 2,500 miles, and since delivery has suffered from the 'burping' noise that apparently comes from the sensotronic brake unit (due to the length of RHD conversion hose)

This was pointed out by dealer on delivery. Dealer says this is 'normal'?!

Is anyone aware of any technical fix for this? Does anyone know if MB is addressing the issue?

Thanks

albw211 said:
Hello all....first post here....apologies if this has been discussed in detail before.....

Have the above model and covered 2,500 miles, and since delivery has suffered from the 'burping' noise that apparently comes from the sensotronic brake unit (due to the length of RHD conversion hose)

This was pointed out by dealer on delivery. Dealer says this is 'normal'?!

Is anyone aware of any technical fix for this? Does anyone know if MB is addressing the issue?

Thanks

Cannot say that I have noticed this mate. When does it occur? :confused:

It is normal mate, will occur often when unlocking the car, or if you pump the brake pedal without the engine running, it is the brake system pressurising and as you said sounds like a burping noise. Can't say it bothers me at all.

Agree with Richard.

Mine does this too and until now I'd always wondered what it was!

ours does this too. Sounds like a compressor when you turn the ignition off too

yes mine too everytime i press the break, it will make that noise.. very annoying. i had it checked this morning and they said ALL W211 make that 'hydraulic' noise.. hmmm.... :mad:

When you unlock the vehicle be it LHD, or RHD it will have a severe bout of indigestion. This is simply the SBC sysem activating, it is pressurised and that is the noise you here. I'm surprised that the dealer blamed it on being RHD!!!!! This is more pronounced if the car is garaged as the noise is confined and you might well be closer to the vehicle?

We just laugh at the noise and wife blames daughter, daugter blames wife :eek: :eek:

Can't say they have haerd it whilst the car is in motion though?? They might have music playing, or be too busy chattering?

Have yiou tried Rennies??

Good luck with the car,
John

glojo said:
When you unlock the vehicle be it LHD, or RHD it will have a severe bout of indigestion. This is simply the SBC sysem activating, it is pressurised and that is the noise you here. I'm surprised that the dealer blamed it on being RHD!!!!! This is more pronounced if the car is garaged as the noise is confined and you might well be closer to the vehicle?

We just laugh at the noise and wife blames daughter, daugter blames wife :eek: :eek:

Can't say they have haerd it whilst the car is in motion though?? They might have music playing, or be too busy chattering?

Have yiou tried Rennies??

Good luck with the car,
John

yep , happens when your driving too.

i wouldnt worry about it , its just something youve got to put up with im afraid ....

fuzzer said:
yep , happens when your driving too.

i wouldnt worry about it , its just something youve got to put up with im afraid ....

:D Just goes to show they have the music too loud.

Totally agree about the noise. It is a 'no brainer' The SBC system is an excellent piece of technology. It needs to arm itself, the noise in the mornings is quite funny and not loud by any definition. I have never complained about it and not given it a thought.

Happy motoring,
John

i have a C240 '03 also and love the car - that's what mercedes should be all about.. just bought E240 '05 - excellent car but just can't stand the noise.. if i knew about it, wouldn't of bought it at all (this is a mercedes product we are talking about)...

for those who havnt heard this noise . its like a fridge compressor

merc-jkt said:
. if i knew about it, wouldn't of bought it at all (this is a mercedes product we are talking about)...

I think this highlights exactly AndyW's piont on a different thread.

The SBC system is in my own opinion a brilliant piece of technology that to my knowledge no other manufacturer has?

Yes it does make a very slight, non obtrusive noise when first activated (in my opinion).

Surely though if this noise was as loud as being made out by a very few people it would feature on programmes like Top Gear???

No doubt when the system was first designed it made all sorts of weird and wonderful noises. I am convinced that design engineers burnt the mid night oil trying to make the feature as quiet as possible. Also if bad publicity does not influence Mercedes-Benz, the system will indeed get quieter. Just look how quiet refrigerators are now, compared to a few years ago.

The benefits SBC give far, far outweigh a mild bout of 'tummy rumblings'. If you don't like the car, then sell it for something you appreciate. Life is to short.

Regards,John

Incidentally US versions do not have either SBC Hold, or SBC Stop, yet their vehicles still have that 'rumble in the jungle' noise. ;) ;)

glojo said:
Surely though if this noise was as loud as being made out by a very few people it would feature on programmes like Top Gear???

Not sure it would John, we put up with so much these days.

Personally I got used to the noise but it got tedious explaining to passengers why my luxury cruiser made odd noises. I think it goes back to a point I made on a different thread about it not being what you would expect from a Merc.

hi guys, just took delivery of my gorjuz e220 cdi, and yep, mine makes the noise too. lets all join the club!!!

Whilst I think we all agree that the 211 does make a noise, I get the impression that some cars make more than others.

There are people like me, who hear it but would never call it obtrusive, and there are others who find it surprisingly loud.

I am confident that there is another thread somewhere that was quite recent in which a 211 owner got the MB garage to do an official, approved modification to the SBC system to make it quieter. I think he had an early 211, though.

I also thought that it was reported in the past on this forum that the RHD cars are louder than their LHD cousins because of resonance in a connecting pipe that is much longer on RHD cars than LHD cars because of the displaced brake pedal.

All of this is strictly IIRC. However, it occurs to me that (IIRC again) there is significantly more sound deadening in the deisel 211s than their petrol counterparts.

Is it just the deisel drivers like me who find the noise hardly noticable?

Philip

prprandall51 said:
I am confident that there is another thread somewhere that was quite recent in which a 211 owner got the MB garage to do an official, approved modification to the SBC system to make it quieter. I think he had an early 211, though.

Is it just the deisel drivers like me who find the noise hardly noticable?

Philip

Good morning Philip,
I don't know if this is might be the relevant?

Noise.gif

John the chastised saint ;)

Hi John, Thanks for digging that out. That was the noise rectification bulletin I was thinking of. Looks like in some situations SBC does make what MB deem to be an unnaceptable noise.

Philip

Mine did. Had a fix done which I was told involved shifting a brake pipe slightly so that it did not contact the body shell in the same way. The SBC unit itself sits atop a rubber mounting but part of the problem is noise & vibration transmitted from the brake pipework via stiff platic mounting clips

Nosie is still there but much more muted.

Satch said:
Mine did. Had a fix done which I was told involved shifting a brake pipe slightly so that it did not contact the body shell in the same way. The SBC unit itself sits atop a rubber mounting but part of the problem is noise & vibration transmitted from the brake pipework via stiff platic mounting clips

Nosie is still there but much more muted.

There has indeed been a number of service bulletins relating to the movement of pipes, but mainly on early 211's (allegedly for convienance of servicing)

I have always suggested that any owner who is concerned about noise, pulsating etc. should go back to their main dealer and ask to go out in a demonstrator, just to compare.

It is so difficult to describe a symptom, so the peace of mind option should always be considered?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom