W211 E270 CDI transmission glycol contamination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

axelvic

Car
'06 C 220 CDI, '07 E 280 T CDI
I've got an '02 W211 E270 CDi (produced in March).

I suspect that my car suffers from the Valeo radiator problem leading to glycol contamination into the ATF, at least the oil did smell a bit like antifreeze, the rpm wandered a bit between 1,200 and 2,000 rpm on light load. There was also a noticable "shudder" in the transmission when accelerating uphill.

Due to this I have replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission using approximately 18 litres of new oil.

The car runs a lot better now! The rpm only wanders slightlyaround 50 km/h on cruise control when the gearbox is cold. Should I be worried? Will it be worse before it brakes down or will it just snap, leaving me stranded?

Will I get away with just replacing the converter or is the entire transmission shot?

The water in the gearbox does damage the clutch plates. But it depends on how long the water was in there. Corrosion also builds up on the valve body.
The friction material inside the TC can also be damaged by water.

2007 cl500 w216: Oil in radiator:
Can somebody direct me. I think I have transmission oil in my radiator. It is creamy yellow. This happened after the car fell off the jack on the driver side. Insurance are looking for a link between the incident and transmission oil in the radiator. All I know is that I checked the water before the incident and it was fine. I then drove the car after the incident and the next morning noticed the oil in the radiator.

Can anybody help me. What could the link be if it is related. If they find it is not related I will obviously have to pay for the damage. Is there a technical reason to exclude the oil in water because of the fall off the jack?

Attachments

• IMG_1252 copy.jpg
    IMG_1252 copy.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 11
  • oil in water.jpg
    oil in water.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 12
Are you certain it's not engine oil?

Either from the cylinder head, or from the heat exchanger?

Engine oil would be my bet too......when you hear and see "Creamy" in the description, it's pretty near 100% caused by engine oil, and fits what you can see in the OP's pic's,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom