W211 E270 engine mounts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
Only had it 3,000 miles but the engine sounds and feels a little gruff under load and gives the car a sideways shudder when I switch the engine off.

Are the engine mounts a known cause of this?

The car has done 181K with FSH.

Probably worth getting them checked and replaced if necessary. Mine were done recently at around 203,000 miles.

mine went on 112k miles, so yes,check them, they might collapse.

Mine went on my W211 at 179000 miles.

Which mounts should I be looking at first, top, bottom or both?
And are they just rubber mounts?

Thanks for the responses guys. Now found that there are 3, including the gearbox mount.

When you changed yours, did your car feel smoother and quieter?

Only had it 3,000 miles but the engine sounds and feels a little gruff under load

Even with the engine mounts in good condition the 2.7 CDI is a naturally gruff engine iirc the reason Mercedes dropped the lump was because they couldn't get it to pass emissions tests (Euro 4 I think)

Found a vid on youtube showing how to test the engine mounts and mine seems fine. Ill just put it down to age and engine characteristics. :dk: Sounds like a bag of nails when its cold and the bonnets up.

When you changed yours, did your car feel smoother and quieter?

I just had the two engine mounts done - not the gearbox mount. Massive difference - much smoother.

I just had the two engine mounts done - not the gearbox mount. Massive difference - much smoother.

Did you test the old ones first by revving it in drive and Reverse with the brakes on?

Yep - it was def moving - the sideways shudder when I switched the engine off. It was fine under load when driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom