w211 E270 reversing in drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hi all,

First i have a w211 e270cdi (Auto).

Was parking the car in a car park today, reversed first to get into the upward sloped space, had to go forward a bit to align, but when i moved from R to D, when i accelerated it was still rolling backwards. Had to then put the handbrake on and try again, and then moved forward.

Anyone know if this is a sign of future problem?

Thanks,
Digi

Normal behavior on a 211.

The older MB do hold on a hill but the newer ones don't

I think he means it hadn't selected drive and was in neutral.

It can happen occasionally but mainly when selecting reverse.

Normal behavior on a 211.

The older MB do hold on a hill but the newer ones don't

That is not true. See other thread. They have HOLD but not SBC Hold or creep.

Going back to the problem, did you hold on the footbrake whilst changing from reverse to drive, as if was under load it would not have engaged properly without doing so.

Last edited:

Going back to the problem, did you hold on the footbrake whilst changing from reverse to drive, as if was under load it would not have engaged properly without doing so.

Are we all talking the same thing here? There is holding using the brake system and holding using the creep facility of the transmission.

In Drive, my Straight Six/Five Speed 320CDI will prevent roll back on virtually any gradient (OK, I haven't actually tried in on a 1 in 4 :). In reverse it does not hold on a gradient but it will still creep on the level.

My W211320cdi has SBC Hold. Clearly shows on display when you have applied pressure to brake pedal when stationary.

My W211320cdi has SBC Hold. Clearly shows on display when you have applied pressure to brake pedal when stationary.

This is the subject of another thread. SBC Hold was discontinued for the latest W211 and the CLS.

This is the subject of another thread. SBC Hold was discontinued for the latest W211 and the CLS.

Indeed however it is replaced with the new brake system's hold function. However I don't think this is the issue in question - what I've noticed in my 211 is that it won't engage driver or reverse unless it thinks the car is stationary - this can take some time and leave you without the transmission engaged so it will roll. Suggest using your brake hold / sbc hold when manoevering on the drive (or SBC stop if so equipped)

I believe it's done to stop you swapping between D and R while moving and shocking parts of the autobox.

Indeed however it is replaced with the new brake system's hold function. However I don't think this is the issue in question - what I've noticed in my 211 is that it won't engage driver or reverse unless it thinks the car is stationary - this can take some time and leave you without the transmission engaged so it will roll. Suggest using your brake hold / sbc hold when manoevering on the drive (or SBC stop if so equipped)

I believe it's done to stop you swapping between D and R while moving and shocking parts of the autobox.

My car can be swopped from reverse to forward gear , without touching the brakes and when it is still moving, albeit slowly. Useful when backing out the drive and then driving off.

It should engage below 5 mph and 1200 rpm.

If it's sluggish to engage drive or reverse first hit is to change the ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom