W211 E280 2005 Saloon: transmission noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allegoricus

Car
Mercedes-Benz E280 (W211), 2005
I've started to hear a whine from the transmission. The noise corresponds to speed increase, gear-by-gear.
The car's done just over 100,000 miles so I'm wondering whether an ATF change will solve the problem.
Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Peter

A fluid change is pretty much all starting points for trans faults but how sure are you it’s trans and not a wheel or prop bearing.

If it's a wheel bearing the whine will increase or decrease as you load up or unload the whining wheel by swerving left or right. However, if the sound varies with gearchanges rather than road speed, which I think is what you are saying, that would suggest the transmission.

If the car has never had a transmission fluid change, it would be a good idea to have it done. If it has the seven-speed gearbox, the transmission fluid should have been changed at 40K miles; the service record book may show this, if you have it.

Hi. Its possible your diff is making that noise. Have a look under the car. It is possible it had a leak and its low on oil.

Allegoricus was just saying thankyou to the second poster, a YEAR after the reply was received.

This is an old thread so don't waste too much time on adding to it!

Oops. I didnt spot that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom