W211 E280 CDI Long Term Maintenance Tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k-singh

Car
2005 E280 Cdi Avantgarde
Hi

I currently own a 2005 e280 cdi 7g with around 165k on the clock, as of recently I got a new job which requires me to do 1000 miles a week, this will fall to around 800 within a months time. This means I will be clocking up some serious mileage but personally I cant think of a better car for the job.

Today I had it serviced and also the gearbox oil done as well including the filter. It has been averaging around 50-55 mpg at 60-70 mph prior to the service which was slightly overdue, so well impressed there. Tyres are original mercedes Bridgestone Turanza ER300. I also had a four wheel alignment done whilst it was getting serviced.

Anybody have any tips for long term maintenance and any other mods/ maintenance I can do to squeeze a bit more economy and life out of it?

Thanks

Regular oil changes. Check your poly v belt. Fuel filter around every 18k.

Gearbox oil every 37.5k

Keep an eye on your tyres as with that mileage you will be going through some serious rubber.

Also 50-55 mpg is very good. I have a 2008 E280 sport and drive as smooth as I can. I do around 2k per month on motorways and average my 165 mile trip at 44mpg at best.

If I were to reset it after 30 mins whilst cruising maybe initially it would be high but would later return to 44mpg

So you are already getting good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diff oil change? Not sure if it's a service item on your model.

Your fuel consumption is already very good and, realistically, your driving style will have more impact than anything else. It always creates opposing views, but if it was mine I'd be considering something like BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power every 3rd tank, or thereabouts. The additional costs compared to your weekly fuel bill won't be that much.

Thats dam good mpg from a v6! Regular Fuel filter changes as suggested would be a good idea.

I have a E320 cdi with 7G gearbox and it needs the gearbox oil checked/changed as it keeps going into 'limp' mode.
Looking at all the You Tube films they show a dipstick tube between the firewall and rear of the engine with a lockable cap.
I've searched on my car and there's no dipstick tube I can see.
Has anyone else had this problem.
Your help very much appreciated.

Mr Forester,
Welcome to the forum, you would be far better off starting your own thread and getting some assistance rather than tagging onto this old thread which may not get you any help.
To start your own thread, just go to the bottom of the main page, then bottom left "new thread" and away you go.
And just some comments.......... you will not have a dipstick tube, nor dipstick, but more to the point, limp mode is probably caused by a dud MAF, rather than the gearbox, and you need the codes read, but also see at the top of this page "Lack of power on a CDI " written by Black55, a garage owner and one of the forum sponsers. This should put you on the right road.

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom