W211 - E280 Cdi Slow Starting & Smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mystic.bertie

Car
E280 CDI SPORT 2007 Saloon
A couple of months ago i replaced the 6 glow plugs with the correct Beru ones, this took away the glow plug light that had been staying on. Now in this cold weather it taking a while to start, it coughs into life and puffs out unburnt diesel. I read this is more than likely the glow plug control module, should i just replace this or is there a test i can do first to prove this?

Where is the cheapest place to source one from. Would i be right in thinking its a bad idea buying a used one?

:rolleyes:

Most probably is the glow plug controller.

There has been an updated version which replaces the old unit. So, if you have the old type of unit, it is most probably that - I wouldn't buy another used one as it will most probably suffer from the same problem. Although, a used updated controller may be a good shout.

I think star diagnostic should identify a faulty module.

The old version looks like this:
Beru-Glow-Plug-Control-Unit-Relay-Module-Bmw-_57.jpg

The new updated unit looks like this:
s-l300.jpg

Ebay (merc dealers) have been the cheapest source for me.

GENUINE REMAN MERCEDES-BENZ OM642 GLOW PLUG MODULE | eBay

Many thanks for the info and reply, i checked the link to ebay and it does not mention my specific model E280 cdi. Is it the same module for the OM642 engine?

If it seems highly likely to be the cause, its probably not worth paying for a star diagnostic. Just buy one and fit.

Is the part Beru, i searched the part number on the box from the picture you posted, this is the cheapest one i could find on ebay. Is this the correct part below?

GLOW PLUG RELAY CONTROL UNIT MODULE MERCEDES OM642 V6 3,0 CDI W211 GSE114 BERU | eBay

Beru are OEM for plugs, so maybe for the controller?

Not much of a saving if it's a copy.

Many thanks for the info and reply, i checked the link to ebay and it does not mention my specific model E280 cdi. Is it the same module for the OM642 engine?

If it seems highly likely to be the cause, its probably not worth paying for a star diagnostic. Just buy one and fit.

Is the part Beru, i searched the part number on the box from the picture you posted, this is the cheapest one i could find on ebay. Is this the correct part below?

GLOW PLUG RELAY CONTROL UNIT MODULE MERCEDES OM642 V6 3,0 CDI W211 GSE114 BERU | eBay

I'm pretty sure both 280 and 320 are the OM642 engine. The link I posted is a Mercedes dealer, so you could give them a call with your registration to check if this is the correct module, this is what I did.

The module in your link looks identical and I'm pretty sure that they are produced by Beru, but worthwhile checking compatibility with the seller.

No offence intended Bertie but could it be that you are over thinking this car?
You do seem to be worrying over it a lot.

More than likely the controller. Same issue on my wifes old C320 cdi was cured with this.
It shows clearly on the Star machine.

I did what Litcan suggested and called them up to check the part was suitable for my car, they confirmed it was, so i have ordered that same part off of the ebay listing.

Many thanks for everyones help. I will post back once its fitted and hopefully its a thumbs up. :thumb:

lewyboy, you are a bore, you just bring down the tone and spirit of the forum, eveyone else chips in to help, you chip in to humiliate and spoil the forum experience. If you dont like my posts then please dont read them.

lewyboy, you are a bore, you just bring down the tone and spirit of the forum, eveyone else chips in to help, you chip in to humiliate and spoil the forum experience. If you dont like my posts then please dont read them.

You do realise that you have started 12 new threads about problems with your car over the last 3 months don't you?

Either you have bought a clunker or you are over sensitive about the car, either way I thought that bringing this, politely, to your attention might help save you a few quid and give you some peace of mind.

Oh well, sorry to bore you with a little dose of reality.

You do realise that you have started 12 new threads about problems with your car over the last 3 months don't you?

Either you have bought a clunker or you are over sensitive about the car, either way I thought that bringing this, politely, to your attention might help save you a few quid and give you some peace of mind.

Oh well, sorry to bore you with a little dose of reality.

more like you were stroking your own ego by ridiculing other people. :confused:

more like you were stroking your own ego by ridiculing other people. :confused:

OK, I understand.

Please remember that you are driving a 10 year old used car, it will smoke or make noises.

My advice would to be to drive it and don't get neurotic over it.

OK, I understand.

Please remember that you are driving a 10 year old used car, it will smoke or make noises.

My advice would to be to drive it and don't get neurotic over it.

please dont post in any of my threads, take your chip and your shoulder and naff off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom