W211 E280 Diesel Smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
Hi,

Our recently acquired e280 seems to smell a bit too much of diesel when you stand by the bonnet. I've got no fluids leaking from the vehicle but at the front of the engine where I assume the egr valve lives the metal tube is partially covered in an oily residue. Am I likely to have a breather pipe leaking or something more serious? Car is a 2009 and has a full service history fwiw and is driving perfectly save the smell. Any points would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

The V6 often has an oil drip from the air duct at the turbo spigot. I would start there for diagnosis.
It does mean getting fairly deep into the top of the engine. Use a white tissue to wipe around the duct to look for the 'wet' oil, rather then muck build up.

Any oil leaking down the back of the engine onto the transmission housing ?

I've had two minor diesel leaks on this engine (now at 180,000 miles).
- One of the flexible pipes on top of the fuel filter - New pipe and clip fixed it)
- One of the fuel connections to the high-pressure pump.
Both were minor - But - A little diesel smells for a long way.

Do these have the rubber 'leak off' pipes between the injectors? I've had a couple of old diesel BMWs that have then and as they age, they allow a little diesel to seep through, they're reinforced with a woven fabric outside that soaks up the diesel and it really smells, (as Johnsco suggests, it doesn't take much). Very cheap to replace and any time I have a diesel now it's just part of my routine to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom