W211 E320 CDI 2006 facelift Windscreen Blower not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi,

The car (W211 E320 CDI 2006 facelift ) just had a seized alternator, and now on my way to MOT another problem appeared. Windscreen would work for about 10 minutes then stop working for 10 minutes about three times. Then on the way back from MOT it just came on for about 2 minutes and then stopped completely. Luckily it is not part of an MOT test...

I suppose given that it appeared intermittently it is unlikely to e just a fuse. Is it definitely the fan motor or could it be something else? If fan is it an easy DIY as the video below suggests or is that video for a slightly different car (as I found when had an alternator problem)?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the advice!

At least check the wiring and what happens when it stops working - is there still power being supplied. Then you will know if it is the fan motor or something else.

At least check the wiring and what happens when it stops working - is there still power being supplied. Then you will know if it is the fan motor or something else.

Thanks for the reply.

Would I do that by accessing the fan and essentially checking it before ordering a new one or is there a more convenient point to do this check by measuring voltage etc?

Another option I suppose I could try is to remove the fan and try to test in from a spare 12V battery if that is advisable and possible (if it is just 12V connection then I suppose should be possible if also a connection to regulate speed I suppose might be more difficult to test it once removed.)?

Test at the connection plug to the fan first to see if you are still getting voltage when the fan stops running. If yes then its the fan, if no then it is further back

Hi, today did some work on it given the temperature was above 10C.

Fan Controller.JPG

The input plug connector into a "resistor" is circled in red and the output to the fan is circled in green in the picture below.

In the four pin input plug the two thick wires are power and those read 12.4V with ignition off and 14.5V with ignition on. The other two are thin data wires and I was getting a reading of about 2-3V DC and 4-5V AC - the actual voltage always moving both DC and AC.

Across the fan plug the voltage almost always red zero which really upset me as this indicated it is not a fan (easy to replace) but something else.

Then I connected the fan to spare battery. And it did not work. By spinning it manually I was able to start it for a brief moment a couple of times but then nothing would start the fan. So this gave hope that the fan is faulty (rather than some other electronics with no idea of how to fix it). :)

But the zero voltage across the green circled connector to the fan still kept bothering me and then through much time wastage and trial and error I established that occasionally there is full voltage across it but quickly goes to zero. I then was bale to elicit that voltage by turning the ignition key fully off and then on again. This would give a full voltage for about 10 seconds. So I concluded that it just senses that there is no fan and hence switches off voltage after a few seconds.

Going back to the fan:
1. I wasn't really bale to measure resistance as it was just jumping wildly during measurement.
2. By manually spinning the fan I was able to get a DC voltage read of up to 0.3V - which to me indicated that the fan should be OK.

In any case based on all of the above I now do hope it is the fan.

What are opinions of members here based on the above, is it the fan or something else?

Is it advisable to order a new one from ECP clone: Nissens Heater Motor | Car Parts 4 Less or second hand on ebay?

(Also what is that "resistor" unit? The input to it appears to be quite complex. Is there some complex data communication going on as the data wire is neither DC nor constant sinusoidal AC voltage? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom