w211 e320 cdi 5 speed NO DRIVE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foru2justnv

Car
Mercedes w211 E320 CDI s212 e220cdi
Cut a long story short my car has an external gearbox oil cooler bypass from before i bought it so it doesnt use original gearbox cooler mounted under radiator.
One of the pipes burst the other day allowing all the gearbox oil to leak, the car lost power and wouldnt move.

I have changed the pipe and refilled with gearbox oil and measured with a mercedes dipstick after running it for 15-20 minutes and its a little high but not much.
Went for a test drive and managed about 4-5 miles before i lost power and it stopped again.
In forward or reverse gear the car will not move, and accelerator wont go past 1500 rpm. Once the car has cooled down again it will be fine for 5 minutes, by cooled down i mean next day.

Does this sound like a conductor plate issue or have I destroyed the box.
checked for fault codes and all I got was 'p2505 gear implaussible or transmission slipping'.
Regards
Tiff

spoke to a few mechanics with different views as to maybe torque converter, maybe lockup solenoid and some to a full rebuild.

Could it be in limp mode ? A pipe burst and oil lose wont damage you box in any way .You did re fill with ATF yes not ordinary gearbox oil did you .You never said And did the pipes go on to the rigt place after removing them Or the computer as had a message that oil is not in the box and as gone in to limp mode . Television is you best bet on here .

/

Oil loss can cause damage to the gearbox. It will only be in limp mode if it won't change gear from 2nd.

Firstly it needs the codes reading and depending if they are any or not id go from there.

The gearbox takes about 20mins of driving to warm up properly so you can check the level. The level must be bang on.

Television is banned from this forum btw.

Hi
Thanks for your replies, yes i didnt mention, I did fill it up with mb 236.12 oil as ive read on here not to use 236.14 and not 236.10 either as although thats was box came with drive is better with 236.12. The day i added the oil I allowed car to warm up whilst checking underneath for leaks, once reassured i went for a drive and it drove okish, it definitley wasnt in limp mode. After testing on local and dual carriageway for around 4-5 miles on the way back after i stopped to check air in tyres it wouldnt move, after waiting nearly 2 hours for aa to turn up the car had obviously cooled down a bit. The AA tech couldnt get any codes up, disconnected battery check voltage at battery and aux battery and then got drive to turn car around but it went again. I started it up yesterday and it drove fine for the 100 meters i checked.
Ollie the code was p2505 gear implaussible or transmission slipping.
Sorry cant access a star. No one round seems to have star except dealer.
could it be that Ive just overfilled, but I cant run it to check. One mechanic reckoned conductor plate could be at fault or a speed sensor.
Thanks

If the level is good and the only code is slipping then it's very likely that the 'box will need a re-build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom