W211 E320 cdi battery problem ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MORGANpl

Car
Mercedes W212 E350 AMG Bluetec Night Edition Premium Plus
Hi. Just went to my car try to unlock it and nothing works. Manage to open it with the service key but car still won't start not even unlock the steering wheel...
I remember that last week some info pop up on the command display saying something about the battery but I start the car and the info never come back. The car was standing over the weekend and today can't do much with it. Is it the main battery gone or something else like for example power drain?

It may well be a power drain but until you get it started you cannot begin to investigate.

W211 e320s eat amps overnight , especially in colder months , id get convenience functions disabled message quite often. I fitted a really heavy duty battery and even it displayed the message after 6 weeks , short trips with lights, fans,rear heaters,heated seats etc turned on eventually drain the battery , my 17 reg e350 is getting low at the moment when I check its at 11.7 v . Command switches off after 3 minutes , when parked , always an indicator of it getting low , myself and alot of other mb owners use a battery conditioner charger through winter months .

Put a charger on your battery for 24 hours and take things from there .

W211 e320s eat amps overnight , especially in colder months , id get convenience functions disabled message quite often. I fitted a really heavy duty battery and even it displayed the message after 6 weeks , short trips with lights, fans,rear heaters,heated seats etc turned on eventually drain the battery , my 17 reg e350 is getting low at the moment when I check its at 11.7 v . Command switches off after 3 minutes , when parked , always an indicator of it getting low , myself and alot of other mb owners use a battery conditioner charger through winter months .

Put a charger on your battery for 24 hours and take things from there .
I been in much colder places than UK when the temp was at least - 10 degrees for the whole time. I didn't start the car for 10 days and it was fine. Never had problems with it till today. The battery in car is still genuine merc one so being 14 years old could be time for a new one...

I've had an aching back for the last couple of days, couldn't understand why.
You've reminded me that I took the battery out of the 211 on Friday, that'll do it.

I've had an aching back for the last couple of days, couldn't understand why.
You've reminded me that I took the battery out of the 211 on Friday, that'll do it.
Bit heavy 😁

Reactions: m80
Even with one foot in the estate it's still a lean over and lift a flippin' big lump.
And it's to be manipulated out of / into the front bit.

I took the alarm unit out last eve, as it got dark, as it started raining.
MB didn't design that thing to come out easily.

I been in much colder places than UK when the temp was at least - 10 degrees for the whole time. I didn't start the car for 10 days and it was fine. Never had problems with it till today. The battery in car is still genuine merc one so being 14 years old could be time for a new one...
Problems start when you use the car , taking out more amps than you put back in. The cold maybe doesn't make any difference , my point was in the winter we use more electricals , like lights , fans ,heaters , heated seats and windows . Over short trips eventually the voltage and amps drop over a few weeks. Not starting a car for 10 days then it does says that battery is probably still good . It just needs charge.

Even with one foot in the estate it's still a lean over and lift a flippin' big lump.
And it's to be manipulated out of / into the front bit.

I took the alarm unit out last eve, as it got dark, as it started raining.
MB didn't design that thing to come out easily.
Can you not use the jump lead pegs and leave the battery in ?

None on a W211 (sedan).

Must be a bigger problem than suggested above if not even doors unlock remotely.

More info about the car behaviour would have been useful. Does the key turn in the ignition slot etc.

Sure, for charging.
I was swapping out.

The Viano is designed for a AGM, the 211 for a wet battery.
Both had the other type in, so I swapped 'em.
The charging is very similar but the Viano has a more complex management of the battery, so it made sense for it to have the AGM.

The old battery is being charged now. I will order new one today and we will see...

I've just changed my 12 year old original battery even though it has never caused any problem or failed to start.

Logic was simple :

Is the original 12 year old battery likely to last my ownership of the car - No
Will a new battery more than last my ownership of the car - yes
Are batteries going to get any cheaper - No

Answer: buy a new one now before the winter even if there is life left in the old one.

Bought a Varta from BatteryMegastore.co.uk but used the Varta website to determine the correct battery. I tried all the other usual suspects like Tanya and there was no consistent recommendation for the correct battery. As Varta made and supplied the original MB battery I trusted their web site over any other.

Reactions: m80
New battery fitted. We will see if it the battery problem or something else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom