W211 E320 CDI jerking excelerating hard in 2nd gear 722.9 7g Tronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welby

Car
W211 e320 cdi sport
Hi all

Looking for some help with my engine/gearbox that has only appeared since have Mercedes replace the gearbox fluid as part of the service B service.

Engine/gearbox worked perfectly prior to the ATF fluid replacement. Twice in two months I've tried to take off quicker than normal, not 100% load, 80% load and got jerking in 2nd gear, throwing the car back and forward, on both occasions I let the throttle go to stop the jerk which it did, then applying the power a few seconds later up to 100% load is completely fine and normal. I can only suspect this is a consequence of the gearbox service. I did look at the receipt and saw only 7 units of fluid were put back into the box, could this be a symptom of a lack of fluid perhaps?

I read a few other posts that reported fuel filter, turbo failure and MAF as causes, seems others have had the same issue but no clear outcome as to the fix. I personally doubt the fuel filter, the others seem feasible. The ATF level also I believe may be a cause especially if the fluid was to high over 40C setting the level?

Anyone know what this is?

Cheers

{
Created = 1;
Discard = TRUE;
Domain = ".commandonline.co.uk";
Name = "__utmc";
Path = "/";
Value = 200557500;
}

Hi all

Looking for some help with my engine/gearbox that has only appeared since have Mercedes replace the gearbox fluid as part of the service B service.

Engine/gearbox worked perfectly prior to the ATF fluid replacement. Twice in two months I've tried to take off quicker than normal, not 100% load, 80% load and got jerking in 2nd gear, throwing the car back and forward, on both occasions I let the throttle go to stop the jerk which it did, then applying the power a few seconds later up to 100% load is completely fine and normal. I can only suspect this is a consequence of the gearbox service. I did look at the receipt and saw only 7 units of fluid were put back into the box, could this be a symptom of a lack of fluid perhaps?

I read a few other posts that reported fuel filter, turbo failure and MAF as causes, seems others have had the same issue but no clear outcome as to the fix. I personally doubt the fuel filter, the others seem feasible. The ATF level also I believe may be a cause especially if the fluid was to high over 40C setting the level?

Anyone know what this is?

Cheers

{
Created = 1;
Discard = TRUE;
Domain = ".commandonline.co.uk";
Name = "__utmc";
Path = "/";
Value = 200557500;
}

Take it back and get codes read. Could be fluid low but let them sort it.

I'd be interested in the outcome you get as I've got an identical issue on some occasions. Probably as well to get the codes read to stop the head scratching for both of us.

Yep me to I have this issue on occasions but what I can contribute is that my jerking was evident before and after fluid change so might be just be a coincidence is showed itself after ur service, I too am interested in root cause please keep us all updated

Sent from my xperia z3 using MBClub UK

Is it 'jerking' or could you describe it as 'kangarooing'? If it's like the latter mine has suffered with it from time to time although it hasn't for a while now and I've been told its due to the turbo actuator failing (meaning a new turbo required).

I had the same problem on my E320 Cdi. I put some WD40 on the actuator rod and do it every 6 months or so and the problem has not re occurred. Worth a try.

Yeah, was hoping to stay away from the turbo understandably, and saw a few comments against the actuator, will lube up the actuator rod then with some dry Teflon oil, after I'll read the codes and speak to Mercedes. Could be coincidence timing wise also. Will report back when I get to the bottom of it and if I find codes. Cheers

Geez1000, could you post a pic of where to apply lubricant to this actuator rod? I wouldn't mind doing this what would be the best lubricant? Wd40, engine oil? Tia

Geez1000, could you post a pic of where to apply lubricant to this actuator rod? I wouldn't mind doing this what would be the best lubricant? Wd40, engine oil? Tia

White grease spray?

I was going to ask the same thing.

You can't miss the actuator, located just in front of the turbo and to the left side. Mine has Hella stamped on it and under the left side a sticker with Honeywell on it. Anyway I lubed up the upper and lower rod joints with the Teflon oil as temperatures are pretty high around this area, will monitor that with the kangarooing/jerk.

For the codes I got connected to the ECU and dropped out P0030 and P0670, both unrelated to the source of the thread, being O2 sensor related and glow plug control module issues. Will tackle these in another thread. So no codes for the actuator, gearbox or other. Will phone Mercedes and ask and get the spares for my new other issues!

Will report back.

It seems like another common issue on these engines, mine has recently had the glowplug controller replaced also.

i get this when on a cold start and i try to accelerate aggressively. i have not noticed it when the engine is warm after say 30-40mins of driving.

Yes, I meant to post about it only being an issue when the car is cold.

A fair few weeks back now on a relatively hot day the car had been on quite a long fairly spirited drive and parked up in the sun for about 1 1/2 hours, when I came back to it I assumed the engine would still be warm and shortly after setting off put full beans on and it happened, so assume it wasn't actually up to temperature.

Yes, I meant to post about it only being an issue when the car is cold.

A fair few weeks back now on a relatively hot day the car had been on quite a long fairly spirited drive and parked up in the sun for about 1 1/2 hours, when I came back to it I assumed the engine would still be warm and shortly after setting off put full beans on and it happened, so assume it wasn't actually up to temperature.

There's a pattern developing here chaps. Stop thrashing when cold ;-)

Yep only happens when cold with me too, perhaps confusing the choke?

I gave the rod joints on mine a dose of WD40 today, will see how I get on but it hasn't done it for a few weeks now anyway.

these gearboxes do give a lot of bother . usually torque conventer problem

Very likely to be a turbo issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom