W211 E320 CDI, (Straight 6 Version)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Narbar

Car
W124 E200
Hi im coming to buying my next car and im looking at the E320 CDI, im looking for a 53 reg plus so hopefully galvanised! Ive heard these engines are bulletproof and have enough power to put a smile on your face so im mainly asking is a general buying guide like what to watch out for and will the E320 Cdi be a good choice of car and engine. I have a W124 e class and if the W211 is half as good ill be happy, thanks for your time Dean

Good cars. Really not an awful lot to be honest. Search valeo radiators on here as this is the one issue but if there is no damage done its an easy and rectifiable preventative fix.

Search on Valeo radiator/glycol contamination issues.

Choose on condition and history and you should be OK, make sure that all service items have been carried out correctly and regularly, especially engine oil, filter and gearbox fluid changes.

Also check that the injectors are not leaking as this is fairly common but not to expensive to fix but certainly a negotiating point!

I find this engine a little agricultural at idle but when moving it pulls well and is capable of returning good economy figures.

Thanks for the replies, im familar with the rad issue after coming close to buying a c32, i understand on them they were replaced with Bahr??? Rads by 2004? Will this be similar case with the w211???

One last question, is rust really a issue with the w211 or should i deffinately have a galvanised version? Or shall i just concentrate on condition rather than reg?

Thanks for the replies, im familar with the rad issue after coming close to buying a c32, i understand on them they were replaced with Bahr??? Rads by 2004? Will this be similar case with the w211???

Yep, although not all cars will have valeo rads and some may be beyond 2003. I'd take a mechanic with you and get a Gycol test. Others have posted about Nissens being a good make for rads. Its not a big job to change.

Front springs are a weakness on the 211. I really rate the E class as a car, I have had two, both have been nice driving comfortable cars and any issues I have had are not relevant here.

One last question, is rust really a issue with the w211 or should i deffinately have a galvanised version? Or shall i just concentrate on condition rather than reg?

To be honest with you a really good test is the interior. If the car has a slatted grille for the vents on the top of the dash its an early car. If its got a mesh one its improved greatly in terms of electrics.

I have a galvanised car and there is a slight bubling which hasn't got any worse since last year as I have it cavity waxed. Chances are the car you are looking at will have had paint work done as its coming up for 8-9yo. Very few cars out there make it without needing some form of paintwork and you'll be at the mercy of a good or bad job.

Go for a nice condition sound car, some older examples are great, other new ones are sheds.

I'd also advise you don't rule out the 270cdi or the 220cdi, particularly if getting a 220cdi gets you into a 2006 facelifted car. 30bhp down and a bit slower, but not a slouch. My 220cdi earned me 2 NIPs inside 6 months, but I got a speed awareness course for the second so no conviction.

^ Hello

I have an S211 (the estate version of the W211) Its an IL6 and 2003 model.

My dad bought it new back then and collected from the factory. Around 18 months ago I bought it off him :) Its the best Merc he has owned and he has had lots. Kept it longer than any other car. He was looking forward to the S212 being the one he swapped for, in the end he isn't sure...so waiting for the CLS shooting brake.

Anyway the car, Its a 2003 so one of the first of this shape?

No major issues, two springs have gone, I think its had some track rod ends, I've had the oil cooler pipes done. It has a FSH and was used for trips to europe every 5 weeks or so. Its also moved all manor of stuff quite literally what has not been in it I don't know. It also tows our caravan very well indeed :)

Bad points? Well none that I have found out in 18months or my dad in 7 plus years. I miss cup holders that my ML had :) oh it has a tiny mark not sure rust about 5p in size just at the side of the rear arch. I touched it up months ago and it seems fine.

It does over 40mpg on almost any run, closer to 50 if you cruise. It even tows our van at 28mpg. Range from a tank over 700 which is brillant for europe.

Since I have owned it I've also added a Brabus D6 chip and changed the wheels twice..

All in all value for £ now its a great car, I've been considering swap it for a newer facelifted S211 sport but adding another £10K say for in effect the same car does not seem to make sence, I think when I swap this it will be an S212.

Its looking ok for a nearly 10 year old car...

DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg

^ Have to agree silver is ace... I love black when its clean and polished but drives me mad keeping it like that.

This lives on my drive during the week and stays 'clean'.

Tints are factory AG spec.

Wheel I love, makes the whole car 'look' newer although a pain to clean.

^ Have to agree silver is ace... I love black when its clean and polished but drives me mad keeping it like that.

This lives on my drive during the week and stays 'clean'.

Tints are factory AG spec.

Wheel I love, makes the whole car 'look' newer although a pain to clean.

I had a black one, silver suits the car better.

The wheels are a nightmare. I could do with getting them refurbed as I can't get all the really engraned dirt off and I kerbed the other.

Tints at the back look black. Like mine.

Factory glass

picture.php

Nice black glass

528882_10150762177494359_745444358_11541716_1598891789_n.jpg

550849_10150762175079359_745444358_11541708_205543445_n.jpg

Thanks for the replies, just have to sell my Supra then im looking to spend aroung 6500 pound, so best get on the bargain hunting! Do really like those alloys :)

Had mine 6yrs, best all round car I've bought, and they wear very well.

Thanks for the replies, just have to sell my Supra then im looking to spend aroung 6500 pound, so best get on the bargain hunting! Do really like those alloys :)

They are the nicest for the 211, nicer than the AMG ones IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom