W211 e320 cdi toe adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tradtx

Car
E320 cdi (2008)
So I know this topic gets flogged like a dead horse on Mercedes forums, so i do beg your pardon if it's a pain to see again. Just wanted some guidance. I bought 4 bolts to adjust the front suspension arms on my w211. I'm aware of how camber is adjusted on the spring lower control arm:

Screenshot_20210108-000137_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-000045_Chrome.jpg

The above arm is adjusted as per the diagram and there's plenty of info regarding this. However i believe there's another adjustment on the other arm for toe.

Screenshot_20210108-000319_Chrome.jpg

Does anyone have the screen shot for how this arm affects alignment depending on bolt placement? Thank you.

The toe angle is adjusted via the track rods on the steering rack and is the only angle that is properly adjustable.

The control arm bolts for camber and caster only affect the angle by a small fixed amount. For true adjustment especially after lowering the ride height requires something like aftermarket K-Mac adjustable bushings.

The brake reaction arm you mentioned, if it's bushing or ball joint is worn then that will impact alignment but it doesn't form part of the alignment procedure.

The toe angle is adjusted via the track rods on the steering rack and is the only angle that is properly adjustable.

The control arm bolts for camber and caster only affect the angle by a small fixed amount. For true adjustment especially after lowering the ride height requires something like aftermarket K-Mac adjustable bushings.

The brake reaction arm you mentioned, if it's bushing or ball joint is worn then that will impact alignment but it doesn't form part of the alignment procedure.
I hear you, thank you very much for your reply. I do believe i located the correct diagram now and the brake reaction arm is for adjusting caster.

Screenshot_20210108-020754_Chrome.jpg

The lower portion of diagram, I believe is pointing to the the brake reaction arm (silver coloured arm as per pic) but isn't very clear so I'm assuming that's the one to adjust caster. My bushing is pretty good but I'm going to try raising my vehicle 10mm and add bolts for reducing camber and caster. If anyone could confirm the bottom part of this diagram is in reference to the silver arm (as per pic above) I'd be much obliged

Yes, you are correct.

The silver arm adjusts caster.

If you are raising the vehicle then the negative camber will definitely reduce automatically (unsure about what it does to the camber). So I would suggest raising the height and then having the alignment measurements taken which will help you decide if further reduction is needed.

Ideal camber angle is -1.0 degree - lowering the vehicle increases negative camber towards -2.0 which increases wear on the inside edge of the tyre.

What is your camber value currently?

Yes, you are correct.

If you are raising the vehicle then the negative camber will definitely reduce automatically (unsure about what it does to the camber). So I would suggest raising the height and then having the alignment measurements taken which will help you decide if further reduction is needed.

Ideal camber angle is -1.0 degree - lowering the vehicle increases negative camber towards -2.0 which increases wear on the inside edge of the tyre.

I need to find my print out to confirm this but i do believe it was right around the -2 mark, I have the bilstein b12/ eibach set up (E90-25-008-02-22) it's currently on the lowest setting. I intend to raise it by 2 notches which i believe will be about 10mm of lift.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct.

Do you have any idea how much camber would be affected by lifting the vehicle 10mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom