W211 E320 CDI V6 Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott180gtb

Car
E320 cdi sport
Evening All

My first post and looking for some advice.

I pick my 58 plate cdi on Sunday.

I plan on running the car for a long time and love to get my hands dirty with preventative maintenance.

The car has been well maintained with mobile one oil services along with gearbox service etc.

She has done 135k. At this milage what should I be looking at from a preventative perspective.

Any oil seals, thermostats, breathers that are common weak points.

Any tips/links welcome.

Thermostats can be common, but you'll know as the engine won't get very warm. Injector seals can go too.

I had a S211 320cdi with 90k - iirc it needed a oil cooler, that was covered by the dealer warranty surprised.

It's buried below the block so access and labour costs I would imagine being high

oil cooler seal is weak spot but it was improved at some point - true, lotsa labor needed.
Change air filter every year, this model sucks anything smaller than squirrel inside...
as above injectors (black death) is still possible
exhaust maifold inner core may brittle but unfortunately no way of knowing when it happens.

Oil cooler seal is a pain, but worth getting a good independent to do it if you don't yourself, a big job for a small seal! There are instructions floating around if you want to have a crack at it yourself.

Glow plugs are a fairly common item - that engine doesn't like starting without them.

If glow plugs are changed make sure the whole thing comes out. A garage attempted to take mine out on my old C270 and failed, must have sheared the tip off one which many miles later was sucked into the cylinder wrecking the engine. On stripping it down we found scored cylinder, battered piston and head and damaged valve seat so not worth the risk leaving it in.

main issues are the turbo oil seal dripping oil onto the swirl flap motor below , change it for a new one .

crankcase vent pipe seals - change the whole thing for the new modified version .

oil cooler seals reportedly fail , think the new improved seals are purple - this is not a diy job though .

Welcome and nice car! Keep on top of filter and fluid changes while looking for the common faults highlighted above and you should have many happy miles ahead.

Thanks for the advice.

I love to spanner so will tackle most things myself.

Are all the parts dealer only?

I’ve been driving BMW for the past 10 years and use ECP for parts.

Turbo oil seal. Has anyone done a how to?

Welcome and nice car! Keep on top of filter and fluid changes while looking for the common faults highlighted above and you should have many happy miles ahead.

My plan is to change the oil every 8k. My annual milage is 25k so 3 a year.

It’s been run on mobile one. Do we have a form discount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom