W211 E320 Cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2swift4u

Car
00 E300TD
Why is the new E320 CDI so loud i was talking to a another chauffeur at heatrow today and he started his car and it was louder than mine even tho my car has done 151k and his car has only done 10k i must admit they do look very nice in black:)

Nah i dont i am a chauffeur based in reading (prime cars) and i mostly drive to heathrow gatwick and london

oh right, cool

do you hang out in that Mcdonalds car park in Heathrow? ive seen about 30+ mercedes in there all varied all chauffeur's

including some Pullmann S' and AMG SL73, SL55, CL55 and lots of S500's and zillions of W210's mostly de-badged

No i dont as my company only takes pre booking but other company who picked people up on the spot do. Where do you work

Originally posted by 2swift4u
Why is the new E320 CDI so loud i was talking to a another chauffeur at heatrow today and he started his car and it was louder than mine even tho my car has done 151k and his car has only done 10k i must admit they do look very nice in black:)

I wouldn't class mine as "Loud"? A bit when cold with the usual big diesel sound, but not loud mate.:confused:

it better not be loud :p ours is due to arrive mid september! i have heard a 530d and they are silent from the inside with no noise at all. outside you can tell its a diesel but its not loud at all!
i hope tht was just a faulty diesel noise or something coz i sure hope ours doesnt turn out to be noisy!

what abt ur E270 cdi richard?

Well I can hear mine's a diesel, especially when cold, standing outside of the car or when driving around town. Above 30mph though its near silent and if anything has a deep powerfull sounding growl. I'm not sure why it sounds louder at lower speeds. I expect the 320 to be quieter from reviews I've read although I've never been in one. I'll have to ask Brian nicely at the next GTG!

what are your comments on the E320 CDI engine, performance, ride etc brian?

and whats gtg? :confused:

OK, I like low down pull, my Kompressor is great for that and I know modern turbo diesels are full of grunt these days too, but....

1. You start 'em and at idle you are not going to disguise the fact you have an oil burner. London Taxi Stylee.

2. Boot it and you really will leave the car behind in your smoke. Thick black horrible smoke.

Yes I am talking about modern VW's, Mercs and BMW's.

All IMHO :eek:

I have a s320 cdi at the moment

the engine is a little noisy at low revs but sounds great when you excellerate hard. But i have noticed that it does kick out some serious smoke.

The diesel factor confuses most people.

To be honest I don't really care whats coming out the back - I don't see or breath it! Also when booting the car and looking in the rear view mirror I've never seen any smoke.

I have been taking people out in mine to demonstate the Road Angel, I am chuffed at how many people have made comments like 'I thought it was a diesel' and 'wow is this really a diesel'.:D

The only time you can hear the distinctive diesel noise is at tickover with the window down, whilst driving it is quiter than my old C180 petrol, except when you boot it and then it growls and sounds superb.

I have never noticed any thick black smoke but if a car is behind at night and you boot it you can see a haze in the lights in the rear view mirror as the car dissapears.

I'm going to be squeezing an extra 25-30 horses under the bonnet early next week, can't wait.:bannana:

Fair enough.

Going to have top watch you Jimmy, your power figure is going to scare me soon!

I'm speaking specifically of a BMW 530 Diesel that I could not believe the racket it made at tickover and a W211 E270 CDI I saw recently kicking out plumes of smoke away from a roundabout sharpish.

Embaressed to mention the Golf TD that I could only keep up with but not pass on the dual carriage way the other day. Serious Sh1t coming out of his exhaust.

Originally posted by akmal17
what are your comments on the E320 CDI engine, performance, ride etc brian?
and whats gtg? :confused:

Well mate the ride is great and it holds the road well on fast bends etc.

Performance is superb, plenty of torque in mid range, and nobody beats me away from the lights---except Maff.:D

38mpg on a long run @ 85mph average.

I am delighted with it all round.:bannana: :bannana:

GTG = Get-to-gether see "Events" next one 16th August.

Richard----you can have a ride anytime mate.

Originally posted by Brian WH

Richard----you can have a ride anytime mate.

Is this an open invitation Brian?;)

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Fair enough.

Going to have top watch you Jimmy, your power figure is going to scare me soon!

I'm speaking specifically of a BMW 530 Diesel that I could not believe the racket it made at tickover and a W211 E270 CDI I saw recently kicking out plumes of smoke away from a roundabout sharpish.

Embaressed to mention the Golf TD that I could only keep up with but not pass on the dual carriage way the other day. Serious Sh1t coming out of his exhaust.

Hey no need to be sarcastic!!

The C250TD is no slouch as it is but it will soon be putting out 175-180 bhp!! that is going to be nearly up with the C230K's although I expect the torque of around 240ft/lbs to be considerably more than the C230K.

The major problem with the turbodiesel is getting going. It's not just the turbo lag, there seems to be a noticable delay in pressing the loud pedal and waiting for the results. That might need looking at.

There will always be arguments for and against diesels, I heard that 60% of new MB's sold are now diesels, and probably more VW's and Audi's are diesel. I have to grin when I go to the petrol station though.:D

Originally posted by jimmy
there seems to be a noticable delay in pressing the loud pedal and waiting for the results. [/B]

I find that's more of a trait of the auto gearbox, rather than the petrol / diesel thing - having driven a fair mix of autos and manuals. Even 5 litre petrol Mercs have a little bit of a delay between flooring it and the car "taking off" .... (although manual diesel's that I have driven exhibit the same characteristic) ... but to an even greater (and sometimes scarier when trying to escape from a junction quickly!) extent. Worth getting it checked if you think the response is unreasonably poor though.

I guess with computerised ECUs in between the throttle, and the engine, its sometimes more of a controlled take-off than you would like (although I'm sure the chip people can sort that out, jimmy !! ;) ;))

Originally posted by GRAV888
Is this an open invitation Brian?;)

Yup, now I've run it in.:bannana: :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom