w211 e320cdi glow plug light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yamazaki

Car
w211 e320cdi
hello,
new to this forum and looking some advice please.
ive a 2005 e320cdi with around 110k.
its starting fine however now once the glow plug light goes off after starting the car it comes back on again for a couple of minutes before going off.
its due a serive soon and the guy who works on it says he will test the plugs.
just wondering as I read cdi engines in the uk do not require or need glow plugs to start them and are more for emissions.
is this correct. just don't want to be left with a huge bill for replacing if no need.
also don't know if connected but recently in the mornings now and then it says on the dash about battery saving all convience items not available.. i.e radio heaters heated seats etc. again only lasts a few minutes and this is only now and then.
thanks for reading guys

The two are not related. For the battery I would recommend changing the consumer one located in the engine bay, not sure exactly where. Possibly under the panel on the left side looking in from front (one behind the strut). As for the glow plugs it could be either one or more of them gone or could be the relay as well. On my cls320 cdi i found it does not like atarting without the help of the glowplugs but mine is the v6. Not sure if you have the v or inline or if that even makes a difference. When the temps got down to around 0 when i had the problem with me it took till the second cycle to build pressure in order to fire up which produced a lot of white smoke which is unburnt diesel.

could be glow plug module on the v6 there a common replacement. If you have a star machine or know someone this can be tested. You could measure the glow plug resistances all should be below 1 Ohm. The Battery sorry haven't a clue. Where are you based??

Had the Same problem glow plug light on after starting, replaced all glow plugs. Now sorted out.

Bought a ml 320 a couple of months ago, glow plug light came on after starting, took back to dealer, 4 plugs not working, replaced them all, next day took ages to start, glow plug module was changed, problem solved, if you have glow plugs changed, make sure you have the new updated glow plug module fitted, these engines need all glow plugs to work to start on the button,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom