W211 E320cdi - Ticking, Tappety Noise

Rosemeyer

Car
54 W211 320Cdi Avantgarde
Car's fairly new to me, done about 3k miles in her, ( she's done 37K) I have a noise, a ticking tappety one, you can hear with the window open when you pull away and the engine is warm, ( doesn't do it when it's stone cold, needs the temp up to 50 degrees before it starts). This only occurs when the care is on load in Drive, put her in Park, rev her, no noise.

I was in the stealers today, booking it in for an ATF change, saw the workshop forman/senoir tech, told him I have a noise, heasked, Does it do it when pulling away, when you have the window open?, yes I say, he says, 'lot of the 320's do that'....

So do I have a problem?, is he pulling my leg?, what do other 320 cdi (not V6) drivers say.

It's not an injector 'chuffing' seal problem as there's no soot around any of the injectors.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Bernd

mobeyone

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280 S211
I think they all do it... mine does it when idle and I have heard others do it too when stationary..... our Vito even has this sound and thats only a year old.

OP
OP
R

Rosemeyer

Car
Thanks for that though I'm not sure I've made myself clear, its not like a normal disel rattle, ( I've just heard my neighbours BMW pull away.) Mine has no noise at idle, or at 2000 revs in neutral, only occurs when in drive and actually pulling away, and if you use a very very light throttle, and drive like Miss Daisy, again there's no noise. It seems to be engine load dependent, and the frequency of the tap suggests it happens once per engine revolution.

tlzeebub

Car
2003 S320CDi, Ducati916
My S320cdi does the same thing although I tend to only notice it bouncing off of close surroundings when my windows are down.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Sometimes a bearing in the engine can fail. Where is crockers when you need him?

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Sometimes a bearing in the engine can fail. Where is crockers when you need him?

Didn't know you cared. :D

Doesn't sound like a bearing to me. More injection / fueling. Or "typical diesel" noise.

The front bearing noise is more non rythmatic ticking. Can't be heard inside the car. In fact I struggled to hear it and had to have Olly point it out to me. I think he spotted Wobbly's too.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Mine does much the same and always has done.

Close the window.

OP
OP
R

Rosemeyer

Car
Thanks everyones response, from another forum there is a suggestion it could be one injector, and as it's going in for an ATF change on Tuesday I'll get them to have a look on the Star,

I'll report back after then.

Bernd

aka$h

MB Enthusiast
Car
Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
Most likely injector related. Might just be an injector seal, which is a few pence.

OP
OP
R

Rosemeyer

Car
I've had a really good look around the seals, and they are pristine, there's no evidence of leaks, no soot or black gunge and I understand the noise when a seal has gone/is going, is a 'chuffing' sound, mine is too tinny for that, but thanks for responding.

D

Deleted member 37751

Sounds like the typical 6 cylinder Mercedes diesel engine noise to me, they are known to be slightly 'tappety'

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
Add me to the list. Mine (I6) has done this throughout my ownership (88k - 141k). The noise hasn't changed at all in that time. It has always been there. I wondered if it might be an injector - one (no. 2) is definitely leaking as the black gunge of death is in evidence, but this has been this way for ages and it is not getting any worse.

I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
R

Rosemeyer

Car
Thanks for everyone's comments, just been back from the stealers for a scheduled ATF change, while it was there on the STAR, they looked at the injectors they were fine, and also updated the ECU software for a later release...... doesn't tick now....so am happy.

Andrew1068

Car
c32o cdi
Mine Does the same too, turn the radio up or put your foot down!
Remember its a diesel, not a petrol engine!!!!!

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Has the car FMBSH? if so surely the ecu would have been updated on servicing unless there been a new update! had my car now for 4.5 years and done 63k with FMBSH never had an ECU update,
also mine sounds the same, very similar to a manifold gasket or exhaust.

:)

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Add me to the list. Mine (I6) has done this throughout my ownership (88k - 141k). The noise hasn't changed at all in that time. It has always been there. I wondered if it might be an injector - one (no. 2) is definitely leaking as the black gunge of death is in evidence, but this has been this way for ages and it is not getting any worse.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd get it looked at when its next getting serviced if you plan to keep the car a fair period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom