W211 E320CDI Turbo intake cracked. What now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MORGANpl

Car
Mercedes W212 E350 AMG Bluetec Night Edition Premium Plus
While I was trying to refit the turbo intake pipe it develop crack. Yes my fault as I was rushing and push it to hard :fail:wallbash:
Now the question. Mercedes wants £275 for new part. It it safe to glue it? If yes what to use for that? Or buy new one??

Part number A642 094 34 97 the link with the actual part is not working.

Attachments

• P812005514709908032016-08-12.JPG
    P812005514709908032016-08-12.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 42
My question was can I repair or I need new one?

If you want to repair the duct first you need to know what plastic/resin its made of. It should have a recycling code embossed on it somewhere for recycling. After that depending on the plastic you may be able to repair it with a suitable adhesive after pretreating the mating surfaces. You may have to re-inforce the join with additional suitable material if its under stress

Last edited:
There was a guy on here who'd managed to source brand new one from Germany for a fraction of the price - need to dig up the thread.

There was a guy on here who'd managed to source brand new one from Germany for a fraction of the price - need to dig up the thread.

Here is the thread, but the link seems to be no longer valid - good luck in the search.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/221423-turbo-intake-hose-om642-engine.html

In theory, anything is fixible, therefore it all depends on the crack size, location etc. The last thing that you want is a piece of plastic or glue being sucked into the turbo, therefore if it is fixed with glue - you need to ensure that the bond is strong and that the inside is smooth (therefore limiting the risk of anything being sucked into the turbo).

On a general note, the design of this pipe, seals and links is not up to MB standards - the connection to the turbo and breather always leaks, no matter how many times you change the rubber seal, it loosens with heat and starts seeping oil through it. The design of the actual Y pipe, makes it always a fiddle to remove/fit and once the plastic becomes brittle - it usually cracks during this stage.

It would have made much more sense to change over the connecting link to the turbo for a silicone pipe piece which is jubilee clipped on both sides - this would make it easier to fit and would ensure a better sealed connection. (maybe there is possibility to modify the Y pipe to achieve this?)

At the connection to the turbo, a chunk of the black plastic is missing

That would be what the vendor describes as: " has small plastic edge missing see picture 4(it is not affect usage) taken fom full working car". So there's no 'major crack', then, or not visible at least. Would you not assume the OP would read the ad for a full description?

I've no idea whether the declared damage makes the part unusable; I'd have to have the part in my hand to assess that, but the statement that it was "taken fom (sic) full working car" implies that it does not. I suspect you'd know better than I whether the ad is misleading and the part is not in fact usable.

That would be what the vendor describes as: " has small plastic edge missing see picture 4(it is not affect usage) taken fom full working car". So there's no 'major crack', then, or not visible at least. Would you not assume the OP would read the ad for a full description?

I've no idea whether the declared damage makes the part unusable; I'd have to have the part in my hand to assess that, but the statement that it was "taken fom (sic) full working car" implies that it does not. I suspect you'd know better than I whether the ad is misleading and the part is not in fact usable.
Didn't read the ad, your question asked where the crack (damage) was, so I have explained (clearly I hope).

Whether the ad is fair, or the part is in working condition, I don't know - I didn't assess this.

With such damage & price tag, I would not buy the part. The damage is in the crucial link to the turbo, the well known link for leaking oil which has a direct link to the port shut off motor failure.

Really don't understand why the OP would swap one cracked pipe for another cracked pipe for £130 :/

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Fair enough; you have knowledge I don't - I know nothing about MB diesels (or much about diesels at all...).

Fair enough; you have knowledge I don't - I know nothing about MB diesels (or much about diesels at all...).
Just a genuine reply to what I thought was the main question - glad that we understand each other now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The new turbo intake should be with me today and now the question. Can I use WD40 or any other grease to fit it? That's how I crack the first time. The new seal doesn't want to come on easy on the turbo.

The new turbo intake should be with me today and now the question. Can I use WD40 or any other grease to fit it? That's how I crack the first time. The new seal doesn't want to come on easy on the turbo.

Put the new seal (and I would change the little one too as they leak there too) in hot water to soften and then put soap off a bar with wet finger on inside of seal. Make sure little rubber pegs on seal go in to holes on y piece. I backed off the jubilee clip so it was very loose or it hampers refitting. Once on push y onto turbo so it's home and tighten. When mine had its last service at mb the chap said" all fine but we noticed your orange turbo seal is weaping and have none in stock so it needs to come back and have a new one" at a cost to me I might add. I said well if you look at when you serviced it last time you might see you guys changed it then and I'd assume it should last more than a year and she's only done 3000 miles since last time. Fail. " oh yes you're right sir we'll do it free of charge let me book it in". I said I tell you what you send me new seal in the post as I go on holiday to south coast in a week and want it done before then; and I'll fit it properly! Anyhow since I did it no leak so just goes to show you these mb techs maybe aren't all that.

Put the new seal (and I would change the little one too as they leak there too) in hot water to soften and then put soap off a bar with wet finger on inside of seal. Make sure little rubber pegs on seal go in to holes on y piece. I backed off the jubilee clip so it was very loose or it hampers refitting. Once on push y onto turbo so it's home and tighten. When mine had its last service at mb the chap said" all fine but we noticed your orange turbo seal is weaping and have none in stock so it needs to come back and have a new one" at a cost to me I might add. I said well if you look at when you serviced it last time you might see you guys changed it then and I'd assume it should last more than a year and she's only done 3000 miles since last time. Fail. " oh yes you're right sir we'll do it free of charge let me book it in". I said I tell you what you send me new seal in the post as I go on holiday to south coast in a week and want it done before then; and I'll fit it properly! Anyhow since I did it no leak so just goes to show you these mb techs maybe aren't all that.

This sounds like a very good way - I've only used the soap, but it makes sense to heat the plastic in order to make it less brittle.

All fitted nicely. Ive use just a bit WD40 and it all went nicely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom