W211 E350 no electronic oil level monitoring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calum

Car
2005 W169 A150
I note that the new 350 engine doesn't have electronic oil level monitoring, at least not on my E350, whereas the 320 used to.

anyone have any ideas why this might be?

cheers,
c.

Because it was, and is, crap. Bring back the dipstick.

Makes a lot of sense for mercedes to get rid of unnecessary electronic gadgets that can only go wrong. Sometimes doing things the simple way are the best.

Agreed; on that note, the most superflous piece of trickery on the car has to be the electric folding-up switch panel in front of the CD-changer space...

calum said:
Agreed; on that note, the most superflous piece of trickery on the car has to be the electric folding-up switch panel in front of the CD-changer space...

Nope , think again ....

The most superflous piece of kit on the 211 series is the Ultrasonic sensor that comes from the dome in the middle of the roof.

Sit in the back , lock the car , wait 10 seconds and watch the blighter drop from the roof :)

No! really? I am going to have to go and look at this, but will wait until the morning. It's not April 1st, is it? :)

calum said:
No! really? I am going to have to go and look at this, but will wait until the morning. It's not April 1st, is it? :)

go now :) will make you sleep better knowing your car is so protected. :)

Personally I like the electronic oil monitoring, but there should also be a conventional dipstick? We also have the tyre pressure monitoring system, that is another excellent electronic gizzmo. Certainly neither are 'must haves' and that is the joy of that very expensive optional list. :cool:

SBC Stop is something that will not be missed and I must confess 'the boss' has never noticed the movement sensor' moving. I suppose if you do and your inside the car, you might also 'hear it!' ;)

'She that must be obeyed' has previous for locking the car with the movement sensor activated, our dog is usually very laid back and just lays down in the rear compartment. Sure as apples are apples though, on that particular occassion he sat up when he heard 'the boss' coming back. :D

I also really like the headlamp washers, these have been a Mercedes 'thing' for many years and other manufacturers are now copying it. Over engineering? Definitely, but it certainly looks good.

Windscreen wipers on the 211 are now back to having two 'conventional' wipers, but they still have that straight piece of wipe in the middle of its stroke. Over engineering? Could be, but it gives excellent coverage.

It would be interesting to know what other differences there are on the 350. The snag is you would need to have had an older 211, just to compare. Mercedes-Benz are not very quick at coming forward to list the items that have been omitted. The new 350 engine certainly sounds the business and I for one am looking forward to perhaps reading Calum's first impressions.

Bye for now,
John

Last edited:
is it the sport 350 youve got calum ?

Because that model has the Alu Studded footrest plate that ive been waiting for :D

fuzzer said:
Because that model has the Alu Studded footrest plate that ive been waiting for :D

Does that mean you have been waiting for the CAR or the FOOTPLATE?

If its the footplate? parts Nos would be handy :)

Portzy.

PS I think the electronic gizzmo is a waste also. Give me a dipstick anytime. In fact, on my A service they initially said my oil was low when in fact according to the gizzmo it was spot on and I told them so. Strange how it all went quiet then.

I had the electronic dipstick disappear from a CLK I had. Its because the wrong ECU software has been loaded regarding the Engine Management System. Dealer reloaded it, all sorted.

clarky.

fuzzer said:
is it the sport 350 youve got calum ?
Nah, just the regular 350, I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom