W211 E500 Bangernomics stretching patience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eye wide open

Car
SLK 320 Now E500
Hi all
I just love the car and despite its got a load of options and as brings a smile to me eveytime I turn the key. BUT my patience is being really pushed.
It stared a few months ago with intermittent faults.
  • The cars tyre pressure monitoring would say visit workshop and could not be reset until fuse was pulled and re-installed.
  • Rear offside licence plate lamp failure but if restarted car it cleared
  • Stereo displayed start up screen but wouldn't work. Again restart car all sorted.
  • Then the dreaded battery drain.
So investigated rear SAM and found one of the connection blocks with just 6mm red cable, a poor termination. Signs of over heating so clean up connection and remade.

• Again battery drained few days later but was using car daily.
  • Tyre pressure system again had to be reset via fuse several times
  • Now the fount panel ( lifts for CDs ) no power but restart car all working again
  • Now the keyless go works on the doors and gear selector BUT the key fod's now stopped working
  • Now the fount panel has lost power and all functions and still has not come back
It's been really hard to find out where these items are supplied from as the fuse charts don't seem to apply. My thinking is that the rear SAM became damaged with over current due to poor connection and is the route of the issues but struggling to get confirmation.

The SAM code is 211 545 5301 5DK 008 047-21

Question is, as the second hand SAM will need reprogramming due to my car being highly spec'd can you get any rear SAM or does it need to be same model numbers. Anyone know what the numbers mean?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Also
Pointers to where to get a user friendly PDF wiring diagram manual from would be helpful
Pointer in, is it possible to DIY star. as currently using Delphi which will not interrogate enough

apologize for not using the correct technical talk but working nights frys the brain.

Ta tar for now

Ian

Yes new Sam will require coding. Also how about trying another head unit, if this is on the blink it could be causing some of your issues along with the power drain.

Agreed with Merc85 - these sound more like multiple symptoms of one or two issues, rather than multiple problems.

Personally, if you can't solve it simply yourself, (and by all means try) the simple answer is to get a "proper" vehicle electrician - this is their bread and butter.

Last edited:
Yes new Sam will require coding. Also how about trying another head unit, if this is on the blink it could be causing some of your issues along with the power drain.
Interesting
The Audio gateway was sticking and pulling 2.9 amps but that is fused through the SAM and since the front panel and key fob stopping its been fine.
Thanks for the reply

Last edited:
Hi,
It does sound like a possible rear SAM fault though but before I started to replace anything I would start by,
  • Checking the CAN connection points for corrosion especially in the area of the boot (the twisted pair cables that run throughout the car connecting the control units together).
  • Disconnecting the elements of the entire stereo system as these are known to cause a battery drain, run the car for a few days see if the drain is still there.
  • Get the car plugged into a genuine MB diagnostic see what codes come up, they should tell you which codes are current and which ones are stored get them cleared take the car for a run then plug back in to see which ones have come back.
I think this is more than likely one fault maybe two which is effecting all these different systems, possibly just one control unit keeping the car from shutting down properly.
The rear SAM would need to be the same Pt.No. or if the later no. if part has been superseded.
The coding of the SAM unit can be done by an offline version of the MB diagnostic for the 211, If you are in travelling distance of Southampton, I can plug it in for you read the codes etc, or if you get a replacement SAM code it for you.

Hi,
It does sound like a possible rear SAM fault though but before I started to replace anything I would start by,
  • Checking the CAN connection points for corrosion especially in the area of the boot (the twisted pair cables that run throughout the car connecting the control units together).
  • Disconnecting the elements of the entire stereo system as these are known to cause a battery drain, run the car for a few days see if the drain is still there.
  • Get the car plugged into a genuine MB diagnostic see what codes come up, they should tell you which codes are current and which ones are stored get them cleared take the car for a run then plug back in to see which ones have come back.
I think this is more than likely one fault maybe two which is effecting all these different systems, possibly just one control unit keeping the car from shutting down properly.
The rear SAM would need to be the same Pt.No. or if the later no. if part has been superseded.
The coding of the SAM unit can be done by an offline version of the MB diagnostic for the 211, If you are in travelling distance of Southampton, I can plug it in for you read the codes etc, or if you get a replacement SAM code it for you.

Andy thank you so much.
I will look at the CAN connections tomorrow. The offer of popping up to Southampton (as only in Christchurch) sounds very appealing indeed. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Top Chap

You're more than welcome, keep this thread updated let us know how you get on.

Quick up date. CAN connections to the in the boot seem to be good. Key FOB not working turn out to be lose fuse pick up in rear SAM so back working. Front panel that controls seats, rear blind, hazards ECT still with out power.:mad:

I have found a Rear SAM mine is
211 545 5301
5DK 008 047-21

Found unit is
211 545 5301
5DK 008 -47-27

So would I be correct that this will fit and can be programmed ? If so I will give it a go if that is ok with you Andy and sort out your time.

Best regards

Ian

Ian,
That SAM will be OK and may not need programming, as I seem to remember reading that the programming is only so the diagnostic computer in future knows to communicate with the control units fed from it.
My understanding is that everything will function, if it doesn't then the normal routine to replace is to read the coding from the existing SAM (whilst still fitted to the car), replace SAM and upload coding to the new SAM.
Though I believe this is not the only way it can be done and the codings can be selected individually with the developer version of the software.

Good evening Andy

Well started the car this morning still no front panel:wallbash: but this evening started to come home and its working again. It might be a gate way issue. But Delphi will not interrogate the system enough. As the rear SAM is on Ebay for £68 I've taken the plunge. Will keep you up to date on how it all go's
Thank you so much for your time so far.

Ian

Well apologizes for the late reply. I'll put it down to Man flu, of the most server type. :eek:

Well progress or should I say whats happened so far.
Breaker sent SAM and upon unpacking it became apparent that it was not the exact model on EBay that was posted, not too impressed BUT their communication was spot on. They reassured me that there would be no issues and I could try it. So swapped out unit and unfortunately the front panel was not working again. Checked all connections and still no look. So Original unit back in and it worked on a damp morning!
So I'm under the impression its a CAN bus voltage issue as on a damp morning everything works.

Next step I believe is to use STAR to read the faults in much more detail. So if and when possible Andy I would like to take you up on the offer of popping up to Southampton. I work shifts so timing might be a issue are you enthusiast or shop as well ?
Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,
drop me an e-mail
MOUNTTEMPLE at aol dot com
If you take my email quick enough I can then edit the post and take it back down again

FYI

I sent email and checked Junk folder but only activity notice was a virus sent out. OMG

hope all is ok just wanted to let you know I was not dropping the post.
Email is nessatian @ ntlworld dot com

regards

Ian

Andy Hi

I've been so busy my end, not checked email until now and no coms. Just wanted to know if in the future taking you up on the original offer was a possibility or you would prefer to leave it at the moment.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,
Apologies, never saw this thread and the post update from yourself advising of sending me a mail.
I have not received an email from you, and I have also checked my spam/trash box.
Yes the offer still stands.

Hi Andy

Lots have happened since last post

Front hazard panel very intermittently working using WIS and Star I've narrowed it down to a wake up voltage issue and I'm starting with the lowest cost item first. Today was gear box out as another long standing issue is Torque shudder and occasional gear slip. So its been a busy time and big learning curve

I've managed to pick up a star system for £300 which I thought was very reasonable. so I'm coping ish.

Thanks again.

I had the issue with the Hazard Panel, It was the panel itself new one cured it.

Merc85

today found your very helpful post on the above and replied.

Thanks

Tatar for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom