W211 E500, NO reserve, stored 3 years.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good find :)

A 99p auction with no reserve should attract a lot of attention.

My thoughts are that if it sells for 20-30% less than book price then it will hopefully be good value.

Unless it was taken to the MOT station every year on a transporter it must have been driven to some extent - not actually laid up in storage. And why would they have continued to tax it as well?

Yep there is suspiciously little mention of wether it actually drives or not!, although Id imagine for an MOT pass the engine would have to run and all the lights and so forth appear to work. Still, if it goes cheap then mightc be worth a punt.. So given despite the limited info, and on the assumption that it actually had no problems before being laid up - what do we think its worth chaps?

It still has 69k Miles on it, so nothing that special. My S211 has 73k on it and has been used all the time. So pricewise......really the same as any E500 of the same age less a bit for having been left standing.

69K an stored for 3 years....

I would think £6000 to £7000 for that, if it were an estate I'd be very tempted.

Just looks run of the mill to me?

It must be one of the very first W211's built and therefore your likely to hit problems. Mine was a 52 plate, built August 2002 and it had many problems the dealer couldn't resolve including intermittent electrical gremlins.

Not using it is also no great selling point...so that togther with what could be true above = possible lemon.

Yep it is a very open question as to why it was laid up. Possibly related to the finance repo? but given issues with early W211 gearboxes etc, probably best left for those braver than me!

Don't see why this should make anything special.

As others have said being stored for 3 years you'd expect a much lower mileage / better condition. Also the plate doesn't look like it's worth £500 and the light scratch isn't so light...

Hmmm, would be interested to see what it makes anyway, sounds like they've written the ad that way to raise interest...

How is the plate worth £500?

Yeah, but given the other issues, thats the least of the cars potential problems!. Mind you isnt it always the way with Ebay ads where sellers try an ibue some outrageous valuation on any number plate if they think they can get away with it ( may work on the gullible ).

I think that is alot of car for the money and he would have had a better chance selling it by saying nothing at all if that makes sense. 3 years storage yet still MOT'd and taxed is just ODD and we all get rightfully suspicious - I am sure there is an explanation.

All other things equal, has the car been offered as a straight sale with history I think it would be snapped up. I think it would then go for £8k +

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom