W211 E55 722.6 vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Osgee

Car
C63 AMG Sold, Now W211 E55
Ok this is a wierd one.

I have a very aggressive vibration like my rear wheels are square.

The car only does it once in the morning i assume when stone cold after approximately the same distance from home the vibration starts (so not from the getgo) after about 1 mile.

Its not related the the engine as the car revs fine, the car also has new ish engine mounts and gearbox mount.

It does it even if i stop then cycle D, N, R, P And set off again the vibration continued.

However if I pull over turn off the car then re start and set off its gone untill then next morning.

Even after 8 hours sat in work then do a 18mile round trip after work it doesnt do it again untill the next morning.

Any ideas ?

Its a 2003 W211 E55 new box and rad and TC in 2011 due to gycol contamination so im 99% its not that.

When was the last time the fluid was changed? Was it a NEW box or second hand unit? if so what mileage had it covered?

So it does it when stationary in neutral? or under power only? If under power maybe the Propshaft couplings have worn.

Oil was changed about 6 months ago and checked about 4 weeks ago when it was serviced.

The service inspection did mention propshaft coupling was begining to decay

The box was reconditioned as was the TC but a new Rad and flush to remove the contaminstion, about 30k since then.

Vibration is only when the car is moving under power or coasting. As soon as you stop it stops.

If you stop and rev no vibration.

I thought coupling but surley restarting the car wouldn't make it go away if it was this?

With my e55 the actual Gear lever started to shake alittle with the vib's similar to how you mentioned.

I replaced both front and rear couplings with Febi parts and the car was so much smoother and the lever stopped shaking. On closer inspection you could see the cracks in the coupling. These although not looking bad when stationary will open up to great extent under load.

If noted they are "worn" id defiantly be changing them. Perhaps when you pull over its gives the couplings just enough time to cool off a little, But i would expect the vibs to return shortly after once hot again.

Also being the fluid was done 30k ago id suggest changing that again along with a new filter.

Also being the fluid was done 30k ago id suggest changing that again along with a new filter.

and pilot bush if it hasn’t been done ;)

Here's another:

I've owned a fair few cars in my time but only twice have I encountered this. A Frozen Half Shaft or CV joint.. I had a bad vibration on the van and.. I thought it was the diff. So a secondhand diff and.. "You'd better come and see this..." Yup! There on the back axle was a frozen half shaft..two new shafts and.. vibration gone..

I had this first on a Front wheel drive Passat. You would hear a "Dub dub dub" sound, not feel it through the steering but drumming through the car.. on first inspection all looked well, no gaitors burst or anything like that.. but still it persisted. After a lot of head scratching and elimination we opted to replace the CV joints.. and on the first removal and....FROZEN CV joint! Couldn't budge this in a vice.. it was solid.. and yet the gaitor was sound (probably replaced and packed again)

Just my tuppenth worth... ;)

Sorry i mean the gearbox was rebuilt in 2011 30k ago and the fluid was changed about 6months ago so about 3k miles.

The car did it again this morning, it seems it only does it on 1st run from cold then what ever happens when you turn it off and on again seems to reset it and it never does it again untill the following morning, so im thinking electrical issue with the box ??

I'd be looking at the Torque converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom