W211 E55 AMG Buyers Guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyc94

Car
BMW X5
Just new to the forum and looking for some advice on the E55 AMG.

Is there anything I should be looking out for bar the usual Service History, rust, body damage etc.?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Matty.

THIS. should cover most of your questions about buying a W211 E55.
I found it pretty useful when I bought mine.

Just new to the forum and looking for some advice on the E55 AMG.

Is there anything I should be looking out for bar the usual Service History, rust, body damage etc.?

Any help appreciated.

Tyres are around £500/set, so worth considering how soon they'll need replacing. I'd steer clear of cars with cheap tyres as with all cars this tends to reflect a budget approach to ownership - look out for OE brands Michelin/Continental etc - something decent like that.

Front discs/pads are around £500/set too so again something easy to check and budget for.

Air suspension can be expensive to replace if it needs new struts etc. Hopefully most of the examples will have had this replaced by now, both of my '04 cars have and it's not something you'd want to get lumbered with straight away. OE parts are very expensive but there's some aftermarket options nowadays too. Make sure there's no warning messages/faults, and raise/lower the car a few times in all modes etc.

There's loads of smaller issues that can cumulatively add up, these are reasonably complex cars and a badly maintained one will cost a lot to put right, but on the whole are excellent value for money and reliable. If you find a particular example maybe post on here if it's close by and one of us maybe able to take a look with you, or ideally have it inspected by a decent local indi.

Best of luck with the search. Once you drive one you'll be hooked :D

The only one of those to interest me would be the last one. Reasonable price for a 55 reg, updated electrics and better spec than the others. Also has an E63 front bumper and lights upgrade. Well worth a look
The others appear a little expensive for 03 reg cars with very few extra options fitted. These cars come highly specced from the factory so many of the "options" listed are standard.

Check and check again everything electric works.

I see the others are in Hull so no harm checking them out. Don't be swayed by how quick the first one seems. They are all damn fast:D

Welcome to the forum. Lots of E55K bods on here so a fair wealth of experience.

Get yourself a 2004 onwards (53 I think it started) and it will be galvanised so less chance of rust. Full history is essential. Body damage - I would expect any unless priced accordingly.

I hate the adverts WITH MASSIVE CAPITALS although that is a personal gripe.

The 55 plate seems too cheap to me - especially on 88k. A little concerning but worth a look nevertheless.

I've noticed a lot of ridiculously-priced E55s (including W210s) recently.

I think for £10k, I would be looking at around a mint late 2003 model / good 2004 model / higher mile 2005.

I hate the adverts WITH MASSIVE CAPITALS although that is a personal gripe.

Agreed. Adverts that shout at me make me want to close. Unfortunately people think that's the best way to display them.

Superb folks. Very helpful advice.

I have seen a few in the Autotrader/Gumtree/eBay:

Mercedes-Benz E Class 5.4 E55 AMG 4dr

Mercedes-Benz E Class 5.4 E55 AMG 4dr

MERCEDES E55 AMG KOMPRESSOR 500BHP *IMMACULATE CONDITION* | eBay

MERCEDES E55 AMG !! 5.5 V8 !! 55 PLATE !! 88.000 MILES !! FSH !! FACE LIFT | eBay

To be honest I was hoping to spend in and around 10k but obviously trying to avoid buying a heart breaker. I'm in Belfast so ideally I'll be lining up a few to go and see over a weekend.

Last one looks the best bet but first isn't dreadful assuming due diligence etc.
What you need is the estate as they are far more useful!

I'm not a huge fan of the ones with the star on the grille - doesn't work on the W211 in my opinion.

Also the wheels with the wrong offset look odd.

First one looks alright actually.

Last one looks the best bet but first isn't dreadful assuming due diligence etc.
What you need is the estate as they are far more useful!

I'm guessing the OP might be around 22 - estate?

:D

This is a bit of an old man's car for 22 if you indeed are but I think there is something cool about being young and driving a more grown up car.

I nearly bought a 1996 XJR in Aquamarine (Turquoise) once because I thought it was cool for a late 20 something to be driving around in it.

You calling me old? Yeah ok fair point. Feel it sometimes.
I had a Honda CRX with the trick electric roof at 22. Thought it was the absolute dogs danglies. Actually it wasn't that quick but it was quite cool.

Still keeping an eye out for something in my budget. Perhaps something I need to stretch!

You just missed out on DSB's car - that was a cracker albeit slightly over budget.

Did you ever get to look at any you listed?

I bought the last one on the list. The 55 plate. :thumb: I changed the grill, still got a big star but the grill is black now.
Love it:bannana:
Lee

I'm not a huge fan of the ones with the star on the grille - doesn't work on the W211 in my opinion.

Also the wheels with the wrong offset look odd.

Hi John
Were you meaning the wheels on the car I bought with regards to offset ?

Thanks
Lee

Hi John
Were you meaning the wheels on the car I bought with regards to offset ?

Thanks
Lee

Hi Lee,

I cannot see the original advert now but I seem to remember it was the same car with the star on the front grille...

Are they the correct offset?

Cheers,

John.

Hi
Yes they are original wheels with correct size tyres and offset. I was just curious as to if you knew something I didn't, I did loads of homework on the car before buying. Really happy with it.
Thanks
Lee

Hi
Yes they are original wheels with correct size tyres and offset. I was just curious as to if you knew something I didn't, I did loads of homework on the car before buying. Really happy with it.
Thanks
Lee

Maybe it wasn't your car then... I don't remember now!

The ones I saw looked miles out.

That's great anyway - I'm into my 6th year of ownership and I still love the car. I go through odd phases of thinking about giving up on it and then it astounds me a-new.

I've not really had a car that can be so docile and chilled then turn into a raving madman. I've had Skyline GTR's since late 90's which are uncomfy and mine were all or nothing, turbo on my big one not coming in until 4K then all hell breaks loose....! I don't miss 900+ bhp one bit. Wouldn't swap the E55 for it! Must be getting old....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom