W211 E55 AMG front brake discs and pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjoshyuk

Car
2003 W211 E55 AMG & 2002 SLK32 AMG
Hi All

I have been told today that my front discs are warped and the off side front brake is binding. I have been advised to replace the discs and pads and I have been quoted £430. They will use MB discs and OEM quality pads.

Is this a reasonable price?

Looking into the binding issue is more money

I bought front discs and pass from the mercedes main dealer parts dept for my W211 E55 for £220 including VAT.

That's very reasonable price, what merc garage was it
Did you fit them yourself?

How much to fit as I get the feeling 430 quid to much to supply and fit

I bought front discs and pass from the mercedes main dealer parts dept for my W211 E55 for £220 including VAT.

Lee - what sort of discount did they do for you on those? Local to me they won't budge over 10%, but ringing around I've been offered 25% discount elsewhere. At 10% it makes the pads alone £200 approx, so buy the time you add discs and pins/wear sensors etc you're into £400 - I can have them replaced at another MB main dealer locally for about £500 fitted which hardly makes doing the job worthwhile.

Anyone else bought genuine discs/pads recently? I could swear one of the main dealers were doing the pads for £70 on eBay a while back (Sheffield or Bradford IIRC) due to the discounts MB were allowing on service/brake parts etc to become competitive.

Thanks,

Will

I'd get the binding issue sorted or you'll just end up wearing out your new discs/pads again.

I'd get the binding issue sorted or you'll just end up wearing out your new discs/pads again.

If that's the OP you refer to they posted originally back in February :eek:

Lee - what sort of discount did they do for you on those? Local to me they won't budge over 10%, but ringing around I've been offered 25% discount elsewhere. At 10% it makes the pads alone £200 approx, so buy the time you add discs and pins/wear sensors etc you're into £400 - I can have them replaced at another MB main dealer locally for about £500 fitted which hardly makes doing the job worthwhile.

Anyone else bought genuine discs/pads recently? I could swear one of the main dealers were doing the pads for £70 on eBay a while back (Sheffield or Bradford IIRC) due to the discounts MB were allowing on service/brake parts etc to become competitive.

Thanks,

Will
I can ring them tomorrow for a price if you want?

Send me your reg and I'll let you know. :thumb:

I can ring them tomorrow for a price if you want?

Send me your reg and I'll let you know. :thumb:

I've been quoted £320 which is for the discs, pads and senders. That was 25% discount, the pads cost twice as much as the discs.

I have recently bought discs and pads for my 55. Discs are 65 + VAT each and pads are 185 + vat so almost 400 for parts alone. Brentford never offer any discount at all and they always say its only 10% if you are trader otherwise no discount what so ever!

I have recently bought discs and pads for my 55. Discs are 65 + VAT each and pads are 185 + vat so almost 400 for parts alone. Brentford never offer any discount at all and they always say its only 10% if you are trader otherwise no discount what so ever!

Official Mercedes-Benz Club membership would get 10% discount automatically - no need to be 'in the trade'.

I've just been quoted 15% discount after a little persuasion from Brentford but realistically want 25% on brake parts - I'm sure 40% was available not so long ago and it's not as if these are bespoke/special order items - the discs are S-class or SL parts and they must sell thousands every year. Likewise Mercedes won't be manufacturing these themselves and with a strong £ to € exchange rate I'm surprised at the circa £200 cost of the pads without discount.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket parts but you can see the temptation given the 100% price difference! Even 'ECP' and other popular retailers will supply both discs and pads for what MB are asking for a set of pads.

Again - £400 is crazy for parts when I've been quoted around £500 parts and labour fitted from an MB main dealer nearby - not worth the DIY hassle for a hundred quid.

the ones which were fitted a fews ago to my CLS55 had W220 part numbers

I think they've updated the part numbers a few times over the years - I've seen the discs with 230-SL prefix and current (today) part listing is a 221 number.

I think the AMG brakes use standard MB 360mm drilled discs (hence the S/SL part #) with AMG-specific pads. Hence the discs are reasonable at around £80 odd list and the pads are £220.

Official Mercedes-Benz Club membership would get 10% discount automatically - no need to be 'in the trade'.

I've just been quoted 15% discount after a little persuasion from Brentford but realistically want 25% on brake parts - I'm sure 40% was available not so long ago and it's not as if these are bespoke/special order items - the discs are S-class or SL parts and they must sell thousands every year. Likewise Mercedes won't be manufacturing these themselves and with a strong £ to € exchange rate I'm surprised at the circa £200 cost of the pads without discount.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket parts but you can see the temptation given the 100% price difference! Even 'ECP' and other popular retailers will supply both discs and pads for what MB are asking for a set of pads.

Again - £400 is crazy for parts when I've been quoted around £500 parts and labour fitted from an MB main dealer nearby - not worth the DIY hassle for a hundred quid.

I have learned the hard way about after market parts on AMG. its not worth the risk...I bought ECP parts originally for just over £200 for discs and pads and they squealed like made after 1 week or wear so changed pads back to MB but there is some squeaking from discs still which i can live with as its only when braking softly around town and when they are warm.

Buy genuine parts for AMG if you can help it.

Amo said:
I have learned the hard way about after market parts on AMG. its not worth the risk...I bought ECP parts originally for just over £200 for discs and pads and they squealed like made after 1 week or wear so changed pads back to MB but there is some squeaking from discs still which i can live with as its only when braking softly around town and when they are warm.

I completely agree. Get pads from MB. My car squealed like pig being shown a frying pan. Changed pads to genuine MB pads (made by JURID for MB) and now it's all silent. Almost stopped driving the car because it was driving me insane.

Iv'e made the same bloody mistake.

where did you buy the brakes pads from :dk:

Thread resurrection but I've just been quoted £706 + VAT for discs & pads & senders all round. 15% discount offered but that's one hell of an increase from last year where SPX's post suggests a list of £433. I am stunned.

surely brembo pads from gsf can't be bad, can they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom