W211 E55 auto gear box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
There is a leak from the gearbox on my car. I plan on getting a new gearbox sump gasket. I am aware that there is also a connector above the gearbox that can also leak, is that right? Am I best replacing the connector / seals there as well?

Thanks.

Sump Gasket a Electrical connector plug if both are leaking, if the plug is not leaking id leave it alone.

Sump Gasket a Electrical connector plug if both are leaking, if the plug is not leaking id leave it alone.

I do not know if it is or not. There is a fair bit of transmission fluid on the sump. I know the fluid was changed before I bought it and it is conceivable that either;

1) the seal wasn't replaced
2) the new seal if fitted wasn't tightened up properly
3) the new seal has failed / been over tightened

I was going to contact my local indy and get them to replace the sump seal anyway and change the fluid / filter.

A good squirt with strong de-greaser and a pressure wash will give a you nice clean view on what is happening there. The plug is a known fail and can cause considerable damage if not addressed as it creates a capilliary action that sucks the ATF up into the ECU. Best to get it looked at and replaced if in doubt.

The connector seal part no. has been superseded many many times so is acknowledged as a failing issue on the and at approx. £20 I would replace it and the GB Filter again and just top up with new oil.

give it a clean first as mentioned above, id replace the plug bushing as well as its a common leak point and a cheap part.

Go easy tightening the sump back up. The torque settings are so low and most garages that don’t know the cars strip the threads. Mine leaked, new gasket put in properly not bodged up and it was good as gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom