W211 E55 Bonnet is jammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SavMan

Authorised Forum Sponsor
Car
E55K AMG
OK I'm running out of ideas after 4 hours of looking at different ways to get at the passenger side latch!

I went to pop the bonnet this afternoon but the release did not feel right, when I went around to pull the latch at the grill it was not out but could be pulled out. The drivers side has released but not the passenger side, the interior latch is not returning properly.

Removed both wheel arch liners but no access to anything that would help, removed lower front tray and looking up I can see the drivers latch is open and can be closed with a screwdriver.

Managed to grab what I think is the passenger side cable from the drivers side and when tugged its at least seems to be connected or at least wedged to something, started to remove the air suspension pump and what looks like the secondary air pump from the passenger side but again no joy or obvious access to the passenger side latch.

Have tried "CPR" to the passenger side while someone tugged on the interior release but again no joy.

Any suggestions as I really can't see how to get at the latch?

Mr-Skill-Makita-Angle-Grinder.jpg

I almost got mine out, luckily it was Sunday night and as I live in a quiet square I thought the neighbours would not approve. I would have only regretted it in the morning but it could come to that, I thought about cutting through the plastic grill so so that I could get a socket on to get the whole grill off. It might give me enough room to access the latch!

Hey Paul

the most common problem is a clip near the latch which holds the cable in place coming loose, you may be able to hold this in place with a long screwdriver and someone pulling the release lever.

its gonna be a right PITA to open im afraid!

think of it this way, if it stays closed it will save you money ;)

Alps said:
Hey Paul

the most common problem is a clip near the latch which holds the cable in place coming loose, you may be able to hold this in place with a long screwdriver and someone pulling the release lever.

its gonna be a right PITA to open im afraid!

think of it this way, if it stays closed it will save you money ;)

Really is a stupid design, drivers side is fairly easy to access but the passenger side is crazy there is so much stuff in the way and no obvious way to access.

Car is booked in with PCS in 10 days so I'm sure they can work it out if I don't get it solved before then.

OK - fresh day and fresh start decided I would not be beaten so worked out from measuring the position of the drivers side latch exactly where the passenger side should be.

Removed lower front tray and wheel arch liner.
Removed Secondary Airpump
Removed horn and bracket that sits above the secondary airpump - took a while but managed to secure a 10mm stubby flexihead ratchet spanner in
Moved secondary airpump hose out of position

Difficult to explain the angle but if you take a line from the front left edge of the bumper and look up and in with your head towards the front of the engine there is a black plastic cover which sits below the latch on the slam panel just to the left of the sidelight.
To reach it I had a plan those that are below 35 will probably have no idea what a spiral ratchet screwdriver is but its one of these.

31Fk0HlFkzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So once positioned through the gap I could open it up to extend to lever of the plastic cover. Then levered the latch, it was a tight fit and needed a lot of care not to push against the headlight connectors.

Hey presto it was open, now to get it all back together!

Alps was correct the cable exterior is slotted and has come out of its position. It was actually jammed between the latch and the wall of the latch which was why the interior release was stiff and also not returning.

Need to work out if it can be adjusted or if it needs a replacement cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom