W211 E55 Cooling Revamp Question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL03WLY

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 03'
Hello All,

Just reading around about the usual suspects on the W211 E55 cooling components that one should keep an eye out or change if not done in recent years. I got a few questions around this based on what I have read around various forums if someone could kindly assist. Just to confirm I am understanding it all correctly and that I am also seeing the operating temperature rising to 100C.

1) Coolant hoses, which ones are common to be replaced?

2) IC Pump - Should I be using the plug and play Bosch 010 (0392022010)? I am see this but the picture shows 058 on them.
Link - Bosch 010 IC Pump

3) As my car is a 03', I understand these ones are more suceptible to the glycerol contamination with the Valeo radiators. I guess if the issue hasn't occured now it shouldn't be too much of an issue? If I should replace it for preventative measures, would the Nissens 62796A Radiator be a goood replacement?
Link - Nissens 62796A Radiator

4) Water pumps, do they have an interval or recommended change timeframe or is it a replace when it goes part? I assume you'll see high temps, coolant around waterpump, a non solid pulley and belt squeal? In terms of replacement, should one go for OEM only? Not sure, if the Circoli one on ECP is any good.

5) Any other cooling equipment on these that should be monitored or changed to avoid bigger issues?

Many Thanks

Hi,
If you have no coolant loss, your IC Pump is ok, and the water pump is not overly noisy then I wouldn't be replacing anything for the sake of it there is nothing to be gained by it.
If you're only symptom of a potential problem is a slightly higher than normal coolant temperature then I would be just looking to replace the thermostat and coolant temperature sender, with genuine MB Items.
I believe you have separate GB Oil cooler so no issue with the Valeo rad issues, I am sure someone else will confirm this.

I changed all of the above on my 2003 e55k along with a upgraded H/E. And the Waterpump and Rad on my 2004 e55k

Hi,
If you have no coolant loss, your IC Pump is ok, and the water pump is not overly noisy then I wouldn't be replacing anything for the sake of it there is nothing to be gained by it.
If you're only symptom of a potential problem is a slightly higher than normal coolant temperature then I would be just looking to replace the thermostat and coolant temperature sender, with genuine MB Items.
I believe you have separate GB Oil cooler so no issue with the Valeo rad issues, I am sure someone else will confirm this.
Ah ok, I didn't know that the 2003 E55 were affected by the valeo issues. Which W211's were affected by this if you know?

I changed all of the above on my 2003 e55k along with a upgraded H/E. And the Waterpump and Rad on my 2004 e55k
Nice. Any recommendations on which manufacturer brands to go for? If you happened to have any references to the ones you bought would be handy, but not a issues if you don't.

Many Thanks

Both were 211's

I tried a EIS Rad from ECP be warned some of the Top hose flanges are not deep enough to accommodate the cars Rad hose.

NRF, Nissens are both Good quality Radiators which you shouldn't have any issues with.

Id also highly recommend changing the both lower ATF pipes OE only as these corrode and can be damaged or leak on refitting.

BOSCH H/E pump new version ending 010
JOHNSONS cm30

Again are good quality alternatives the bosch will be a direct fit.

The Waterpumps are expensive and only available from MB, Mine wasn't strictly needed but i changed it anyway, They come surcharged so MB will require your old unit.

Heat Exchanger was a Great upgrade for my early 211 as that was running approx 560hp. Link below.

Both were 211's

I tried a EIS Rad from ECP be warned some of the Top hose flanges are not deep enough to accommodate the cars Rad hose.

NRF, Nissens are both Good quality Radiators which you shouldn't have any issues with.

Id also highly recommend changing the both lower ATF pipes OE only as these corrode and can be damaged or leak on refitting.

BOSCH H/E pump new version ending 010
JOHNSONS cm30

Again are good quality alternatives the bosch will be a direct fit.

The Waterpumps are expensive and only available from MB, Mine wasn't strictly needed but i changed it anyway, They come surcharged so MB will require your old unit.

Heat Exchanger was a Great upgrade for my early 211 as that was running approx 560hp. Link below.

Ah ok thanks for the advice. With regards to the ATF Cooling lines are you referring to #10 & #30 in the diagram?

1608850842809.png

I wouldn't fit a Circoli stat if I were you. I've used Febi in the past, and I've never had any problems. I thought of Circoli at one point, but having Googled them, I found a fair few negative comments.

I have fitted Febi pulleys before, very good quality (looked like OEM ones).

I had a couple of squeaky pulleys, so thought I get to them before they start to seize.

I have fitted a Bosch 010 IC pump before, direct swap, super easy.

I wouldn't fit a Circoli stat if I were you. I've used Febi in the past, and I've never had any problems. I thought of Circoli at one point, but having Googled them, I found a fair few negative comments.
I have fitted Febi pulleys before, very good quality (looked like OEM ones).

I had a couple of squeaky pulleys, so thought I get to them before they start to seize.

I have fitted a Bosch 010 IC pump before, direct swap, super easy.

Thanks for your advise. Will start looking round for febi parts.

Just a Quick note, I believe the Thermostat is MB only on the m113k, As it's all part of the housing. The N/a one is patterned but not the S/c one.

Also I don't tout for business on here but i do Own a Small Motor Factors in Essex. You will probably find cheaper over the internet AutoDoc are very competitive,

If you do want me to look at anything for you feel free to give me a Pm, always try and help Forum members where i can. :thumb:

Ah ok, I didn't know that the 2003 E55 were affected by the valeo issues. Which W211's were affected by this if you know?

Radiator failures occur with age and use, and can and do happen to any Mercedes with any make of radiator. The well-known 'Valeo Radiator Problem' relates to failure of the internal sealing that prevents coolant mixing with transmission fluid in the transmission oil cooler. The MB technical bulletin on the subject states that the V8-engined models of the W211 are not affected.

Just a Quick note, I believe the Thermostat is MB only on the m113k, As it's all part of the housing. The N/a one is patterned but not the S/c one.

Also I don't tout for business on here but i do Own a Small Motor Factors in Essex. You will probably find cheaper over the internet AutoDoc are very competitive,

If you do want me to look at anything for you feel free to give me a Pm, always try and help Forum members where i can. :thumb:
Ah thanks merc85. I will keep that in mind, but need to hit 30 posts before I can Pm anyone 😅 (Yes, im a newbie or noob whichever it is)

What I am going to do first, is get it booked in for a major service and see what the health check brings up. I see Star Motor Service in Reading are near enough to me so will query with them first. Since owning the car for a month now, its just problem after problem arising so rather then buy parts blind, I want to get the experts eye on this first. I literally wrote now nearly 20 points of faults I have come across, with the latest one being PAS whine and fluid looks to be below min when checking in morning, After driving I notice a lot of bubbles. Gearbox is now jerking into gear especialyl when coming to a stop, it shunts me forward.

Radiator failures occur with age and use, and can and do happen to any Mercedes with any make of radiator. The well-known 'Valeo Radiator Problem' relates to failure of the internal sealing that prevents coolant mixing with transmission fluid in the transmission oil cooler. The MB technical bulletin on the subject states that the V8-engined models of the W211 are not affected.
Oh ok, I didn't come across any bulletin, but thats a relief to know. Mind you though I guess if it was a bad one, it'd already have gone by now I guess. Checking fluid levels, they were that low, so topped up 500ml.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom