W211 E55 - Damaged crank and crank pulley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tajryait

Car
W211 E55k AMG
Hi

My W211 E55 has been at the Mercedes dealer as the battery was not charging and causing the convenience turn off messages, the batteries and alternator were tested to be ok.
They had checked the crank pulley which was fitted by a tuner who uses this forum, this was only done 3-4 months ago and have found the woodruff key and two pins had both snapped off, there is damage to the crank and crank pulley due to it spinning inside. The dealer has reported that this was due to incorrect fitting - most likely incorrectly torqued. :doh:

The bill to repair is more than the price of the car, I had checked the original pulley that was removed when the new one was fitted and this is in good order with no marks on it. I will be contacting the tuner tomorrow to discuss repair. :wallbash:

Current screenshots are from the StarView video the dealer sent me
1-1.jpg
2.jpg
3_1.jpg
5.jpg

Welcome to the forum. 3 posts in around 5 months, you dont have much luck do you?

Sorry to hear this. All the tuners who sponsor the forum are well recommended, so this is a nasty surprise. Glad to see you haven't named the tuner and are going to contact them to discuss a repair. Good luck.

Had the worst luck with this car but its just so nice to drive (before i had the problems), tempted to just get rid but I'm hooked on the V8's now.

Sorry to hear this. All the tuners who sponsor the forum are well recommended, so this is a nasty surprise. Glad to see you haven't named the tuner and are going to contact them to discuss a repair. Good luck.

Yes, I want to give them the opportunity first.

Nice......... :dk:

No naming but still adding pressure & embarrassment to the sponsor (if they are a sponsor) quite unnecessarily as it could be a manufacturing defect.

Would have been better if you did this off the forum then returned with a complete story resolution and all.

:)

IMHO of course..........

Last edited:
Just waiting for a response from the garage on how they are going to resolve this. I also checked the original MB crank pulley that was taken off and don't know how they managed to damage this.

Crank1.jpg
Crank2.jpg

They used a puller. I expect it was very tight to get off.

That is pretty bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom