W211 E55 folding rear seats retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Fixit

Car
2012 SLK55 AMG
The only missing option I really wish me E55 had is the folding rear seats, do we know if it is possible to retrofit folding rear seats and if so is there anybody who could do this?

Ta

I think it would be a massive job. A lot of the kit needed wouldn't be there and there will be a sheet of metal between the seat back and the boot. I'd be cheaper to buy another car I think..

I'm not so sure it would be quite so huge an issue - it depends how merc did it.
Iirc the cars without had a single large under floor cavity. My car has the 7 seat option and the seat squab lifts out entirely and the back hinges from the floor behind the squab.
If the mounting slots on the sides of the cavity are there or could be fitted and you could get the seat hten maybe. You do have to add 2 more seatbelts so it depends if the mounts for them are there.
Not easy certainly but might be worth checking. POst some pics of your boot and under the boot floor and it may be easier to tell.

I'm not so sure it would be quite so huge an issue - it depends how merc did it.
Iirc the cars without had a single large under floor cavity. My car has the 7 seat option and the seat squab lifts out entirely and the back hinges from the floor behind the squab.
If the mounting slots on the sides of the cavity are there or could be fitted and you could get the seat hten maybe. You do have to add 2 more seatbelts so it depends if the mounts for them are there.
Not easy certainly but might be worth checking. POst some pics of your boot and under the boot floor and it may be easier to tell.

I don't think this is what he was asking David. The OP wants to know if he can change the fixed rear seat in his saloon to the drop down folding seat(s) which is an option at build level.

Isnt there extra structural reinforcements on the folding seat version?

^ I haven't compared the two side by side before. Mine has folding rear seat but I wouldn't know about extra reinforcement:dk:

I maybe wrong, but I recall on some models the rear bulkhead needing additional strengthening beams for compensate the void.

I don't think this is what he was asking David. The OP wants to know if he can change the fixed rear seat in his saloon to the drop down folding seat(s) which is an option at build level.
Ah yes, I think you might be right :fail on my part.
Never mind, as you were
David

I will take the back to bits and have a look; -The EPC does not distinguish the shell or the bulk head just shows the parts with the full bulk head. I would be surprised if a small section like that makes a difference to the structural integrity of the shell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom