W211 e55 headlamps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Minden99

Car
W211 E55 AMG
Sorry for this. But cannot search this. Trying to understand if I can get my headlamp lenses gleeming again. There's conflicting reports you can polish and some say you cannot or is it new assemblies or can you by the lenses alone. By way they are xenon type. What's the real MB forum say.

Many thanks whitenemesis. I click the search box to add text and it disappears could be due to using note4 .
Anyway cheers for that.

Use the 3M kit (around £18 from Amazon) with a drill. If you follow the instructions you can have "as new" lens in 45 minutes. Be sure to mask around the lights to prevent drill damage.

Many thanks whitenemesis. I click the search box to add text and it disappears could be due to using note4 .
Anyway cheers for that.

Ah, yes I get that sometimes on my nexus. Very annoying!

My workaround is to click another tab such as Calendar, then click Sesarch in that view.

Last edited:
I've noticed that some of the "discoloration" on the lens is actually on the inside. The chrome in the reflector seems to give off something that results in black deposits inside the lens (which obviously cannot be polished out). However, it is easy to take the lens off -- just run a heat gun around the edges to soften the sealant and pry off the lens and clean underneath. Made the most difference to how the headlight looked.

3FF63254-FD8D-44E1-B5A6-1C6296821EBB_zpsrws85ifa.jpg

Note the black deposits along the areas close to the chrome. There was also a layer of deposit across the entire inside -- not as visible in this pic, but dimming the lens none the less.

Byas

Last edited:
How did you reseal the lense back to the main body. Did re-warm existing or some new sealant if so what did you use.

Just warm up the sealant and reseal it. Nothing else needed. Seals well too in India rains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom