W211 E55 Kerbweight with/without Panoramic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ph1listine

Car
W211 E55 AMG
Hi all, I recently acquired my first Mercedes, a W211 E55 AMG.

While it's naffing fast, I was disappointed to see it weighs a portly 1920 kg according to a local weighbridge. This is with panoramic roof, loads of other options and 2/3 tank of fuel.

While Evo magazine quoted the E55 at 1760 kg I presume this was the 'dry weight' as Mercedes later quoted 1835 kg.

Has anyone weighed their non-pano E55? I'm curious to see what the weight penalty is.

Might have to book in with MSL for a 77mm pulley and map to offset the weight penalty!

dx3.png

20191215-161806.jpg

20191215-160356.jpg

20191215-160406.jpg

w7.png

w8.png

w9.png

w10.png

w11.png

w12.png

w1.png

w2.png

w3.png

w4.png

w5.png

Last edited:
Lovely and welcome. I'm going to be weighing my CLS55 soon (non pano roof). Expect it to be more than yours.

The MSL upgrades help a lot ;)

Realistically the sunroof could account for the bulk of that - all that glass will weigh a fair bit, plus the strengthening/frame work it sits in, motors, wiring etc.

But obviously all the additional equipment will add weight, and there can be a fair bit of it - Harmon Kardon sound, COMAND, phone prep, CD changer, dynamic seats, spare wheels and so on.

A few kg here, a few kg there - soon adds up!

can i have the NSF wing if your breaking it please :D

Welcome to the Forum btw ;)

Cheers, if I decide to go for extreme weightsaving I'll let you know ;)

Lovely and welcome. I'm going to be weighing my CLS55 soon (non pano roof). Expect it to be more than yours.

The MSL upgrades help a lot ;)

Thanks yeh let me know! CLS55 are meant to be same as this is, 1920 kg. Been quoted £1k for pulley and map, supposedly good for 540 bhp 600 lb ft. Madness!

Realistically the sunroof could account for the bulk of that - all that glass will weigh a fair bit, plus the strengthening/frame work it sits in, motors, wiring etc.

But obviously all the additional equipment will add weight, and there can be a fair bit of it - Harmon Kardon sound, COMAND, phone prep, CD changer, dynamic seats, spare wheels and so on.

A few kg here, a few kg there - soon adds up!

Indeed, having owned fast Saabs and a Clio 172 I appreciate how much light weight can help. Engine more than makes up for it but would love to chop 200kg off this.

I wonder how much the front seats weigh with the different options (dynamic, vented, etc.)

I wonder how much the front seats weigh with the different options (dynamic, vented, etc.)
I’m certain that someone on this forum weighed the drivers seat from a W211 and they were a lot heavier than they were expecting!

There’s a fair few items in the car which can be replaced with lighter counterparts. All depends on how far you’re prepared to take it. I’ve done the following:

- Forged 18” monoblock wheels
- CF Recaros (driver and pass.)
- Suspension (coilovers)
- Fuel cell (fuel tank weighs a lot)

I’m yet to do bolted brake discs with aluminium hats as there’s a 4/2 kg per F/R corner weight saving respectively when compared to the factory cast discs.

Not including the exhaust system in the above as I am going bigger (3”) and even with lighter back boxes it will end up weighing the same as standard.

Which CF recaros did you go for?
Same Q for alloys. Any straight fits?

There’s a fair few items in the car which can be replaced with lighter counterparts. All depends on how far you’re prepared to take it. I’ve done the following:

- Forged 18” monoblock wheels
- CF Recaros (driver and pass.)
- Suspension (coilovers)
- Fuel cell (fuel tank weighs a lot)

I’m yet to do bolted brake discs with aluminium hats as there’s a 4/2 kg per F/R corner weight saving respectively when compared to the factory cast discs.

Not including the exhaust system in the above as I am going bigger (3”) and even with lighter back boxes it will end up weighing the same as standard.

Nice work do you know the before and after weight? Have you a pano roof?

Coilovers and wheels sound like sensible mods for a daily.

I quite enjoyed having bugger all options in my E55K.

I'd never had any of the options I was missing in any car before so knew no better but I imagine the weight saving was significant (as well as not having to replace Keyless bloody door handles every week).

Less to go wrong too.

I quite enjoyed having bugger all options in my E55K.

I'd never had any of the options I was missing in any car before so knew no better but I imagine the weight saving was significant (as well as not having to replace Keyless bloody door handles every week).

Less to go wrong too.

Yeh weight is the biggest killer. Did you ever weigh it?

Yeh weight is the biggest killer. Did you ever weigh it?

No - I never thought about it and didn't have the means anyway.

I always presumed the 1835kg banded around was the case but to be honest, after modding it up to 580 > 600BHP, it did splendidly in the races it took part in so I wasn't troubled in any case!

Nice work do you know the before and after weight? Have you a pano roof?

Coilovers and wheels sound like sensible mods for a daily.

For the mods - yes. Not for the entire car. Seats were about 3kg each bare and about 5kg trimmed. Standard seats are about 35-40kg each depending on options. Coilovers were on the car before I bought it. I then went on to remove all the associated Airmatic components, like sensors, nylon tubes, brackets, compressed air reservoirs - basically everything. No pano roof in mine. Wheels are 8.5-9kg each (front/rear). Tank was good 25-30kg (too bulky to put on scales). 80L fuel cell that replaced it was half that. I removed secondary air injection (and all of its many components), all of the rads are custom too. Supercharger weighs a lot. Weistec sell a 3L supercharger kit that is lighter but not much better than the smaller capacity OEM version. I did a man math before whereas if I changed the exhaust for Titanium and added CC brakes to my list of mods, I'd get about 200kg off. That's without stripping any interior panels or carpets or compromising the look in any way - a standard looking car, just with lighter components.

Which CF recaros did you go for?
Same Q for alloys. Any straight fits?

Recaros were and OE version for an AM and had to be re-trimmed. They look almost like Pole Position seats but with lower bolsters for easier entry and no cut outs in the for the 5 point harness. Wheels were made to order by BC Forged.

I weighed mine at 1860kg. That was with 1/3 tank, no sunroof, full interior, no spare tyre, but with lighter weight wheels. The total weight of the wheels I have now is 27.4kg lighter than OEM. So the weight should've read approximately 1887kg.

My seats (non-dynamic, non-vented/cooled) weighed 27.6kg for driver side, and 29.3kg passenger side (first aid kit made it slightly heavier).
OEM front wheels weigh 23.2kg each with Continentals, my rear's weighed 25.6kg each, but that was with Toyo R888R which I've heard are slightly heavier than other tyres.

upload_2020-1-3_22-38-50.png

I weighed mine at 1860kg. That was with 1/3 tank, no sunroof, full interior, no spare tyre, but with lighter weight wheels. The total weight of the wheels I have now is 27.4kg lighter than OEM. So the weight should've read approximately 1887kg.

My seats (non-dynamic, non-vented/cooled) weighed 27.6kg for driver side, and 29.3kg passenger side (first aid kit made it slightly heavier).
OEM front wheels weigh 23.2kg each with Continentals, my rear's weighed 25.6kg each, but that was with Toyo R888R which I've heard are slightly heavier than other tyres.

View attachment 91234

That's odd because mine was 1920 kg with 2/3 tank and panoramic roof. Let's say that extra third tank of fuel is 25 kg so take that off and you have 1895 kg on mine. 1887 kg on yours means only an 8 kg weight penalty for the panoramic roof.. throw in the fact my spare tyre is in.. then it's negligible. Weird innit. On the US forums people saying Pano adds anywhere from 40 to 100 kg.

P.S. that is a MENTAL quarter mile time and trap speed great work sir! :cool:

That's odd because mine was 1920 kg with 2/3 tank and panoramic roof. Let's say that extra third tank of fuel is 25 kg so take that off and you have 1895 kg on mine. 1887 kg on yours means only an 8 kg weight penalty for the panoramic roof.. throw in the fact my spare tyre is in.. then it's negligible. Weird innit. On the US forums people saying Pano adds anywhere from 40 to 100 kg.

P.S. that is a MENTAL quarter mile time and trap speed great work sir! :cool:
Thanks for the compliments.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with what the scale says at the local recycling centre... I don't expect it to be super accurate. Even on the scales it fluctuated +/- 10kg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom