W211 e55 leather cleaner/condition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mav01987

Car
w211
Hi

So I am looking for a good quality leather cleaner/ conditioner

Did a bit of research online which seems to have expanded my options so now I am just confused.

I have read that old leather could fade with cleaners. Not sure what the definition of old is when it comes to my type of leather. [emoji848]

Originally the leather was Matte finish so I would like this effect back

All help is heavily appreciated?

Thanks

Most cars since the early 1990's have treated or manufactured leather which requires less feeding and cleaning than cars from decades gone by. There is a myth that leather today needs frequent conditioning when the coating on the outside actually prevents the feed from actually getting to the leather. In my experience the two best leather cleaners are Furniture Clinic automotive leather cleaner and protector, priced at around £30 and Gliptone Leather Cleaner. Apply product thinly, buy a decent scrubbing brush and gently work product in. Wipe off with clean cloths and then apply a protector. You will be impressed by the results, take your time and do not soak the leather. Remember it is skin, of sorts.

I use Dr Leather wipes that come in a large pull out tub. Good cleaner and leaves a matt finish. Very easy to use. I got it as it was recommended by quite a few on here.

I always use Meguiar's products and find them great quality and at a reasonable price too. You can use the standard consumer grade stuff that you can find at Halfords, Amazon etc... which will do an excellent job but also bare in mind there are many other good brands out there that you can choose from and you'll find something you'll like upon the basis of trial and error. Most products will somewhat achieve the same job at the end of the day but the main factors is how well and how quick it can do it.

I tend to use Meguiar's professional line series such as mirror glaze & detailer line for cleaning and protecting but they are a bit more pricy and you can only come in bulk sizes.

Aerospace 303 is also great product that I use for UV protection and preserver after cleaning.

If your leather is somewhat glossy now as you say, that probs because of dirt, grease & oils from every day use. Once cleaned you should get the matte finish back and can be enhanced too by using a good conditioner/preserver.

Another vote for Dr Leather although I used the spray rather than the wipes.

As mentioned a lot of leather is produced in such a way that the bit you're cleaning and supposedly moisturising is basically a painted service. Not paint in the literal sense but leather is coloured and treated. :)

A cleaner that's fairly gentle is probably sufficient. Only if the leather is cracked would you aim for something more intense that will soften that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom