W211 E55 - Predicting Value over the next few years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

izools

Car
W211 E55 AMG
Greets to everyone!

I'm keen to see what everyone thinks about the value of W211 E55s moving forwards?

I have an OG '03 plate W211 E55, silver.

108,000 Miles, FMSH, and it's darn near concourse throughout. All original. Even keep OE spec tyres all round and an OE 2019 map DVD.

It was written off around 2007 but I've all the paperwork and photos pertaining to this and the invoices confirming the repair work was done with original Mercedes parts by Mercedes themselves.

The history and maintenance is exhaustive. I'm the fifth owner.

I absolutely love her.

Where do we think values might go over the next few years on these beasts? I can see that there isn't a single W211 E55 on the market right now for what I paid, the cheapest roadworthy one I can find is slightly above what I parted with and in worse condition so I'm happy with that; but are they worth holding on to as a long term investment?

It'd be nice if they head the same way as the E34 & E39 M5s.

At least Doug DeMurio had nothing but praise for these; I was rather clenched when he rolled out his review earlier this year as he has a big following - he can easily influence market prices with his opinions. Worth a watch if you haven't yet. Easily found on YouTube.

Well the E55 is a great car,but your car will I suspect sell at around 7 grand,the cat d does not help,the E55's that are fetching the money are the estates with very low mileage,yours with 104000 miles is far from that,there is also the problem of next year when the new petrol comes in nobody knows what will happen with older petrol engines,from what I have read it seems the new fuel will eat brass and plastic as well as not taking any prisoners with pipework,but who knows maybe there will be a additive you can put in and save the day.

I see it going down. It's an old car that not many people pine after. Despite the love and attention you've given yours it's high mileage and crash repaired so it will never command big money.

Harsh but most likely true, so simply enjoy it yourself.

No disrespect but the headline details will affect value. Mileage, number of owners, service history, spec and so on. Sadly yours being an insurance write off will definitely put a lot of people off, regardless of how nice it might be.

I sold a fairly tidy ‘04 E55K Wagon last year - had high spec, full history and low owners - but it also had over 150k miles and an LPG kit added.

I sold it for a fairly low price, under £7k. I think had it have had 50k less miles or possibly without the LPG kit it would have been worth £3/4k more.

In summary - you will be competing with all the other examples out there. The E55K isn’t a particularly rare car, they are durable and hence there’s plenty about still, and even tidy imports are starting to appear with low mileage and no corrosion issues etc . Clean original examples with sub-100k and full history etc might be of interest but I can’t see much growth in the market for these short to medium term. Long term they don’t exactly have motorsport pedigree or anything like that so can’t really see a huge market for these, although the engine is quite special :cool:

I’m guessing you didn’t pay fortunes for yours with the category market against it - just enjoy it for now and don’t worry about the values :)

It's interesting what's said about not being a particularly rare car, when ~600 were sold in the UK and only one has sold on eBay as far back as ebay sold history goes. Only eight of them on AutoTrader just now too.

*Shrug* hey ho, I don't mind. There's no way I could've got more car in that condition for my money elsewhere.

Owning what carries the image of an "old man's car" and annihilating absolutely everything else I've encountered on the road when push comes to shove is a sense of satisfaction you just can't put a price on :D

Well the E55 is a great car,but your car will I suspect sell at around 7 grand,the cat d does not help,the E55's that are fetching the money are the estates with very low mileage,yours with 104000 miles is far from that,there is also the problem of next year when the new petrol comes in nobody knows what will happen with older petrol engines,from what I have read it seems the new fuel will eat brass and plastic as well as not taking any prisoners with pipework,but who knows maybe there will be a additive you can put in and save the day.
What new petrol? I've not read about this.

It's relatively rare but there are also relatively few people who are looking for one so supply matches demand and hence prices don't rocket.

It's interesting what's said about not being a particularly rare car, when ~600 were sold in the UK and only one has sold on eBay as far back as ebay sold history goes. Only eight of them on AutoTrader just now too.

*Shrug* hey ho, I don't mind. There's no way I could've got more car in that condition for my money elsewhere.

Owning what carries the image of an "old man's car" and annihilating absolutely everything else I've encountered on the road when push comes to shove is a sense of satisfaction you just can't put a price on :D
The thing is the ‘55k came in so many models that it doesn’t really make the E55 stand out - you also have the CLS55 and S55 four doors, then the CL55 and SL55 as well as others.

These cars appeal to a relatively small market of enthusiasts, if they were more popular then the prices would reflect that :thumb:

I think they bottomed out at around £5/6k - as they would break for that amount, and are probably as much in demand for engine and gearbox transplants, brakes and stuff at that sort of price point.

You say you bought yours for a relatively low price (no doubt as a result of the write off in the history?) so I wouldn’t expect much different when you come to sell :)

Just be happy that you’ve got to enjoy a fantastic AMG V8 for a very low price relative to its new cost :cool:

Absolutely, thanks to everyone for their input.

As for the proposed taxation... Let's just hope it only applies to cars registered since the new rule comes into force; as has happened in the past.

All original and write off don’t go together in my book.

I agree with above posts.

Not many cars are investments these days with the annual costs involved keeping them on the road.

As you clearly love the motor just keep and enjoy until such times that you’ve had enough. :) :thumb:

Cars over 255g were charged £515 back in 16/17,
cars of 225 haven't been charge £515.

I'm guessing this is old and inaccurate news.

View attachment 98718

If this happens it will be reduced to virtually scrap value overnight, as will my old V8 car
Wonder how much the fine for no road tax is, at £4500 it might be worth the gamble! :doh: ;)

But seriously, having taxed two of my cars to the tune of almost £1000 within a month I would much prefer they put the duty onto fuel instead. Don’t see the point of a fixed charge that takes no consideration for the amount of use (and hence pollution) of a given vehicle.

All original and write off don’t go together in my book.

I agree with above posts.

Not many cars are investments these days with the annual costs involved keeping them on the road.

As you clearly love the motor just keep and enjoy until such times that you’ve had enough. :) :thumb:

As in unmodified. All original MB spec and MB parts :)

TL: DR - It hasn't been riced :thumb:

Gov'ts don't really give a toss about reducing the emissions of cars. It's more about tax revenues, meeting such as eu targets and appeasing the Green lobby.

If they tax car and HGV's off the road while they might enjoy some tax revenues from the sale of new vehicles they can also cause an adverse effect on the economy and so reduce their tax revenues. With the post Covid ahead, at some point, they need to encourage the economy while taxing the hell out of us to repay the massive debt created, but it will be a delicate balancing act. And any Gov't that squeezes us too hard loses votes.

There are less older cars than new on the road, so as cars get older there is less incentive for Gov'ts to attack them with tax hits. My guess is that most folk will want a car younger than say 6 years old so they are the target.
By now there must be massive amounts of 'greener' cars on lower VED, so the Gov't will have to look at how to replace that tax lost, but there are still fewer older cars to hit.

I've not thought about this but anticipating where the Gov't, of whatever colour, will target for that lost revenue is likely more relevant than worrying about high tax on the fewer older cars around.

If you’re referring to your own cars value I’m afraid to say the write-off category will have a heavy negative impact; these have quite specific buyers and I’d expect a price of 20-30% less than if it was “straight”.

To answer the wider question - will they “appreciate” to the point of an investment? Highly unlikely when you take into account the running costs of £1000> per year and those who do pay top money expect yearly servicing irrespective of mileage etc

Those I do envisage selling for the best money will be (in no particular order): estate, high spec (Distronic, rear TV etc), full service history, less than 120k miles, rare colours (especially Designo) and as original as possible.

A stock car will always appeal to a wider audience, also working factory options.

The options may not add that much value but the more boxes ticked, the better chance of getting that sale. Even parking sensors needed to be ticked for a E55. Nowadays, it’s basically standard equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom