w211 e55k, 4 zone Climate issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Had a trip to London today, My car is always kept in a cool Garage,

Upon leaving i had the Climate Set on Auto at 19 degrees as i always have done, The Aircon was fine all the way to London 90 miles.

After Leaving the car Aprox 2hours outside "black car" it was hot inside.

So again i thought no problem set the A/c a little lower 16-17 it went cold although took alittle bit longer than usual but it did get COLD BUT only in the Front!

All of the Rear vents were blowing Hot Air, All the front Cold Air.

I shut the rear vents of after fiddling with the temp settings in the rear of the car "which made hardly any difference".

After the 90mile drive home i turned the car off, Gave it a quick detail/brush up aprox 30 min's. Got back in and started it up and low and behold All the vents were blowing COLD again as normal??

Does anyone have any ideas whats up ???:eek:

It can take a while for the system to flush the hot air from the ducts. How long did you persevere? Also the rear air also cools the armrest cubby, so could take longer still...

It can take a while for the system to flush the hot air from the ducts. How long did you persevere? Also the rear air also cools the armrest cubby, so could take longer still...

Hour in London + 50 miles home, I asked the wife just to shut the vents off as she was sitting in the back on the journey home.

The car cooled down fine using the front vents only. Just strange how it all seems tobe functioning ok now??

I've just read a few threads on the USA forum, They all seems to think its the Switch over valve part number A2118320584

I take it this is the Duo Valve as we know it? I want to get the A/c renewed anyway so i will get that done 1st and then the valve if it plays up again.

I'm such delicate flower so I set mine on 13 & turn up when the steering wheel gets to cold Lol

common problem with those valves, had mine done a few years ago

It will be the duo valve, happened to mine.

Changed mine myself, fiddly job and took me a few hours lol.

For the time being, if you want to get the rear vents to cool then up the front temp. vents until the rear vents are cool. Once the rear vents are cool then lower the front temp.

Last edited:
It will be the duo valve, happened to mine.

Changed mine myself, fiddly job and took me a few hours lol.

For the time being, if you want to get the rear vents to cool then up the front temp. vents until the rear vents are cool. Once the rear vents are cool then lower the front temp.

Colin at MBS did mine in around 20 minutes by removing the accelerator pedal out of the way. Looked very tricky going in from above.

Cant be much worse than what ive already had todo lol, thanks for all the replies peeps, looks intermittent at the moment.

From your description, I thought duo valve as well.

Mine had already been changed as it went too.

Your car is Trigger's broom Gav. You will just need a 17 plate for it and it will be complete. :D

Colin at MBS did mine in around 20 minutes by removing the accelerator pedal out of the way. Looked very tricky going in from above.

I went from the top route, working around the master brake cylinder. I was a newbie at work haha.

A little update on this, I have ordered a new valve from Mb thinking its the problem.

The 1st time i notice the issue was when i was in London and its the 1st time ive touched the Ac settings.

I press the temps settings to "low" front and rear But i also faffed about with the Auto button and "ZERO" button in the centre of the display.

After a trip out last night the blowers were constantly on i pressed the right hand Auto button, the blowers slowed and the car achieved the correct setting remaining Cold front and rear setting at 18.

I had previously noticed over the wkend it would blow cold initially from the rear then go hot and stay hot, The fronts would remain cool/cold.

In short i think ive pressed something i shouldn't have done lol, "touch wood". I'm still buying the Valve Just in case but at the moment all is fine. Tobe continued doh....

Chill out man...:dk:

In short i think ive pressed something i shouldn't have done lol, "touch wood". I'm still buying the Valve Just in case but at the moment all is fine. Tobe continued doh....

I bet you accidentally pressed the A/C OFF/REST button. Cool air will still blow but not freezing a/c air. Glad its sorted. Wrong time of year for a/c issues.

Also the rear air also cools the armrest cubby, so could take longer still...

In the same way it also heats the cubby so be careful what you put in there when you have idiot number two son sitting behind you dicking about with the controls in the back...you'd be surprised how hot they can get :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom