W211 E55k AMG or E39 BMW M5..??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harry_dhuga

Car
2001 BMW M5
Hi people,

I'm looking at the possible purchase of one of the above car's, would love to get both but think will just go for the one..!!!

Any advice, I have a feeling that the votes will lean slightly more towards the AMG..???

Cheers,

Harry

I'm loving my E55 K so far but I've never owned an E39 M5 I have driven one though, the E55 definatly has more low down power and in fact everywhere really!, the M5 still felt a nice car but I went for the E55 because I prefered an auto and I think it looks less dated than the M5.
Should say really if you;re considering these 2 then there's the RS6 to think about too.

You seem to be comparing two cars form different eras? M5 1998-2002 vs 2002-2007 W211 E55.

I would go for the E55 as its a newer car and also comes with more technology. The new M5 will be out soon so the one you looking at will be 2 generations old.

Saying that the E39 M5 is probably one of the greatest 4 door saloon cars ever made.
There is a write up of it in Evo if you search there website which compares the above with the RS6 also.

I agree it's a bit of an unfair comparison but I'll chip in with my 2p worth. The E39 M5 was never the car it should have been and did not live up to all the marketing and press hype that it recieved. it was the first M car not to be hand built and was known for it's very slow throttle response, one of the good things on the car was the getrag 6 speed manual gearbox which was a dream one of the bad things was the brakes, hopeless and soon overheated and faded badly if you drove it hard not much fun at all.

Firstly the MB has about 80 bhp more than the BMW IIRC, and features the speedshift 5 speed auto transmission (more reliable than the 7g version) so it really is an unfair comparison to the E39

So the verdict E39 M5 Vs W211 E55 then it has to be the MB W211

However if you were comparing the W211 E55 to the E60 BMW M5 then the BMW E60 M5 would win hands down.

All IMHO of course :)

agree with flanaia1, the e39 is prev generation which i would compare against the w210 e55, i went through the dilemma over a year ago, but with an e60 M5, the main reason i went for the w211 was price and auto. e39 M5 didnt even come into the equation

I agree overall I think the E60 M5 is a better car, in a straight line I don't think there would be much in it between the 2 especially with the E55s torque but the M5 is definatly nicer through the bends, the reason I didn't go for one is the E55 is better value and I prefer the interior of the Mercedes, the M5 is a great car though, it's probably one of the few BMWs I really really like.

My E55 is awesome - and I've driven the latest M5 (a 2005 model) and I have to say I prefer the E55. It seems more 'honest' and 'analogue' (hard to describe, but it feels more like a drivers car than the M5).

The M5 is awesomely fast of course, but all that iDrive stuff is a nightmare.

The previous gen M5 is fast becoming a classic, but it's hard to find one that isn't a total pig.

The E60 is really good in every department, whereas the 211 E55 AMG is excellent in fewer areas.
I have driven both the M5 and M6 and have to say that the M6 is, strangely, nowhere near the M5 in handling and ride comfort- I felt comfortable at high speeds in the 5, whereas in the 6 it felt like the car was going to fall apart at the same sort of speeds:confused:
It was a very strange feeling, when the 2 cars are almost genetically identical.
The 211 E55 AMG feels more of a 'muscle car' with plenty of torque to boot, it certainly feels more powerful than the M5/6 but doesn't feel as stiff where the handling is concerned, I'm afraid.:rolleyes:
If you are seriously comparing the E39 to the 211, then the E55 trounces the M5....:thumb:

agree with flanaia1, the e39 is prev generation which i would compare against the w210 e55, i went through the dilemma over a year ago, but with an e60 M5, the main reason i went for the w211 was price and auto. e39 M5 didnt even come into the equation

+1

I test drove the M5 first (E60) - it was more 'fun' but not as comfortable and about 5k more expensive. :thumb:

Test drive both and see which one you fall in love with - then go back home and see which one ticks all your boxes before making a decision.

your brave saying the m word on here .mate of my had the e55 drove it few times awsome car the looks u get .

The E39 M5 is more raw than the W211 and might be slightly rewarding to drive (for a driver) as a result... but whenever I sat in the E55K i just couldn't get over the amount of torque it had.... whilst the E39 felt fast the E55 was just breath-takingly brutal. No comparison.

I agree. Also the BMW is manual only and AMG is Auto only. AMG feels much more brutal. M5 will be a classic however as they seem to be going up in price. Given the choice I would go for a E55 as it is more powerful and modern.

The E39 did run concurently with the 211 for a year from memory. The E39 is a terrific base for a car, even the E60 in some areas is not as good a car. The E39 is the best BMW ever made. By modern standards is blooming good.

I can see a compelling argument for one, especially if you want a manual.

However, the E55, M5 and RS6 were put to battle and the E55 211 does move the game on a little from the M5.I'd probably go with a 211, love them.

The defining feature of the E60 M5 appears to be the V10 engine, but the E39 still has a lovely 5000cc V8. Not in the M5 bracket of car, but never warmed to the £60, many E39 fans did not, the F10 looks a lot nicer to me

Also consider the Alpina B10s or if funds can stretch a little a B5, which is almost a perfect car.

B5 is simply unreal, it handles like a complete dream, it does the spring to 60mph in 4.5 seconds and will go on to 197mph and you can do that with your Nan sitting next to you in complete comfort.

S2000 - 4U : BMW Alpina B5 V8 SUPERCHARGED AWESOME SPEC JUST WOW

Plus it is completely exclusive.

As mention your not comparing like with like,

For me a Mercedes is Classier than a BMW, I've had some BM's (not the M series) and as nice as they are they do tend to have a stigma of the drivers. I think this comes down to all the 318ci's and the like driven by young sales reps thinking they are in M3's fogs ALWAYS on and never out of the outside lane...

The W211 looks much newer than the E39 and is what I would go for....in Estate form :)

Also consider the Alpina B10s or if funds can stretch a little a B5, which is almost a perfect car.

B5 is simply unreal, it handles like a complete dream, it does the spring to 60mph in 4.5 seconds and will go on to 197mph and you can do that with your Nan sitting next to you in complete comfort.

S2000 - 4U : BMW Alpina B5 V8 SUPERCHARGED AWESOME SPEC JUST WOW

Plus it is completely exclusive.

That Alpina B5 looks like a cracker for the price, just don't llike the shape of the E60 hence why looking at e39 M5's or even Alpina B10 V8s. :ban:

At the moment I drive a E39 530i Sport and to me it feels so much more precise especially in corners - only thing with the car is I want more power and manual as getting a little bored of the Auto box.

Does the W211 E55 have gear shift change on the wheel as standard - that I could live with..!!! :thumb:

PS Thanks to everyone for their advice so far.

I agree with flanaia1.

Personally no comparison, the W211 E55 AMG hands down.

Car Solutions : E55 AMG SALOON GREAT SPECIFICATION

I was so close to buying this one^^ before I bought the C55 AMG, only reason I didn’t because I did not need a car the size of the W211 E55.

Nice car, don't fancy spending £20k on a motor though as would rather put another £5k in and get myself a run around for the weekend - perhaps a Ferrari 355..??

Have you considered a manual 335i??
Guy on pistonheads selling his 24k mile 57 plate for £14500!!

This will be quicker than either once mapped and return 24-35mpg all day long.
They are also seriously well balanced and feels awesome on the twisties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom